Are there any Jim Rogers' fans here?

Discussion in 'Educational Resources' started by jbtrader23, May 14, 2002.

1. MRWSM

MRWSM

I like him very much, he did pretty good on being long the QQQQ during the first half of 2003. He did get out a bit soon and then shorted the dow but no ones perfect.

#31     Feb 16, 2005
  2. cakulev

cakulev

#32     Feb 16, 2005
  3. Cakulev,

Thanks for the link! That is a very good interview.

I've been thinking of how to handle my IRA in a low stress way so it doesn't interfere with my short term bread and butter trading.

Averaging into a commodity mutual fund and holding for a long time has some appeal...

#33     Feb 16, 2005
  4. sonnet

sonnet

he has had quite a life, i think many of us find inspiring. I even made a bundle off one of his stock picks when he was writing for worth magazine.

#34     Feb 16, 2005
  5. cakulev

cakulev

If you are interested in holding commodities long term
    the best way to do it is to buy fully-collateralized commodity futures,while having the margins in t-bills. This is much superior than holding the spot commodities.
    See the attached file in this thread:
    http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=44869

#35     Feb 16, 2005
  6. cakulev

cakulev

BTW,
    Is it me or Rogers International Commodities Index is very Oil sensitive?
    Oil+Gas = 44%
    I am not saying this is wrong, but it doesn’t look like a balanced index either.

http://www.rogersrawmaterials.com/page3.html

#36     Feb 16, 2005
  7. It seems to me YES.

#37     Feb 17, 2005
  8. zdreg

zdreg

was bullish on china way before others.

picked chiquita brands as a commodity and turnaround play at around 12. currently 22.

picked german beer producers when there were hundreds around as a consolidation play. (similar to u.s reginoal bank consolidation)

currently is short microsoft. said to short after msft went ex-dividend on big cash payout. and has been selling out of the money calls on msft for a couple of years

#38     Feb 23, 2005
  9. zdreg

zdreg

currently long airlines bonds

#39     Mar 3, 2005
  10. cakulev

cakulev

Just curious, why?
    He is also bullish on oil and this have major impact on airline profits. In addition all big airlines (with the exception of South West) have problem with low fare competitors.
    Therefore bankruptcy should rise among this sector. So unless the risk is overestimated in airline bond yields I don’t see any good reason.

#40     Mar 3, 2005