Are the utilities a good short ?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by 4XIS4U, Apr 19, 2005.

1. Sam123

Sam123 Guest

The trend is up, so you buy the dips.

#11     May 9, 2005
  2. 4XIS4U

4XIS4U

I usually buy dips when the stock does not violate the last congestion range...

Look at TXU, it penetrated the congestion on high volume... plus it broke down the 50sma on high volume... not a good sign..

I'm not saying this is the best short, but I'd be out at this point.

#12     May 9, 2005
  3. timbo

timbo

I got out at $85 on 4/29. I thought it was too high the first time it hit $85 and was glad to be given a second chance - even more so now.

I think it's still pricey at 80 bucks - but there's a lot of big money riding on this company.

#13     May 9, 2005
  4. 4XIS4U

4XIS4U

Congrats timbo...

quite impressed about the fact that you picked this stocks @ 14 (very bottom) and sold it at 85 (perhaps top)...

was was your reason to get out a 85 ?

I'd be very interested to hear more about your stock picking as well as your trading method(s).

tkx. :cool:

#14     May 10, 2005
  5. 4XIS4U

4XIS4U

This is an update on post suggesting a short on D (April 19th) - almost beginning of this thread.

Original post
    [​IMG]

Updated chart - 05/10/2005
    [​IMG]

#15     May 10, 2005
  6. timbo

timbo

Really just dumb luck. It's my utility. I really thought they were going to go bankrupt. But then Buffett drop 3/4 billion into convertibles at $13 something and I thought I would jump on as well.

As far as $85 goes, I have been sitting on my hands since $25 - it had been a tough ride to this point but with a new ceo - I thought I would wait and see. At $55, I started wanting to sell but it just kept going up. Lately, I just couldn't believe it was at $80+. When you started this thread, I started thinking seriously about getting out. I decided to put in a bracket order at 85/80 and was lucky 85 hit - otherwise 80 would have. Regardless, if the stock went back to $55, I would have been just has happy.

But don't be surprised to see the darn thing hit $90+ during the summer peak. I just wanted out - nothing fundamental nor technical.

#16     May 10, 2005