Are Teachers Unions To Blame For Failing Schools?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by nitro, Apr 5, 2010.

Are unions at least partly to blame for the state of US education?

1. Yes. The evidence is obvious.

27 vote(s)
    73.0%
  2. No.

7 vote(s)
    18.9%
  3. I don't know. I really need to research it more though.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I don't care since if I have to compete with idiots that means more money to me.

3 vote(s)
    8.1%

1. The wild card is the classified kids.

"Private system, public voucher" would work but is not going to happen because no one wants the classified kids. Unless of course the private school could do it their way. Private schools cannot afford 1 teacher for 6 kids, essentially daycare.

I was surprised to find out urban schools don't even test (very restrictive guidelines) or want to label kids because according to standards the entire school population is dysfuntional at some level and qualifies for additional services.

#31     Apr 7, 2010
  2. achilles28

achilles28

Voucher amount could be tiered based on disability. Relative to the general population, the cost of 'educating' serious disabilities should be manageable. I'm not even certain educating the retarded is possible. But that's a separate issue. I'm highly suspect of these catch-all diagnosis educators and psychiatrists throw around that pathologize every human nuance or weakness. Each human has unique cognitive strengths and weaknesses, and that's entirely normal for the species. I suspect I'm mildly dyslexic because I read slow and tend to skip words. That's life. Once we clean up our food and water supply - get the fluoride, chlorine, heavy metals out of the water; hormones, preservatives, additives, pesticides out of the crops and meat; BPA out of the plastic; mercury and aluminum out of the vaccines - I think we'll see a big drop in learning disabilities.

The general thrust of incentivizing performance based on results is what drives innovation and progress in free markets. Why shouldn't a free market exist for education, as well?

Entire schools of thought revolve around catering methodology to distinct personality/cognitive types and learning disability. Instead of having private schools tailor curriculum and methodology to a "preferred" learning style, everyone gets lumped together in the public education system and content is reduced to the lowest common denominator. It's totally backward and just another brick in the wall for the collapse of America.

#32     Apr 7, 2010
  3. #33     Apr 7, 2010
  4. jem

jem

In honor of your first conservative post, I will take my time and avoid typos.

We agree on something.

It is truly a interesting moment when you take a step back, observe, and question the leftist party line for the first time.

Welcome to the thinking side of things.

#34     Apr 7, 2010
  5. jem

jem

I noticed a typo. My first drafts suck.

#35     Apr 7, 2010