Are T-bills for futures margin available again?

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by J.P., Feb 1, 2018.

1. J.P.

J.P.

Now that interest rates are going back up, are there currently any futures brokers accommodating T-bills for margin like they used to for high-balance accounts?

2. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

We do.

J.P. and RosyScenario like this.
  3. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

That is highly unlikely. I have a few accounts outside Wedbush at ADMIS,. They don't want t-bills but will pay a low rate to larger accounts. Not 1 Year rate. Much less.

4. truetype

truetype

Depends on what "much less" means. I think ~⅔ of FF is easily available. A big improvement from 0 a couple years ago.

5. RJO and advantage currently offer this.

J.P. and RosyScenario like this.
  6. OK. What would be the net APR of a 30-day T-bill after paying the commissions that I'm guessing are charged for purchasing? Can we get the specifics on this please?

7. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

All I can tell you is I send in the request to buy $250,000 face value 1 year T-Bills. Wedbush charges $50/order. They come back with the discounted rate that the desk bought it for. Wedbush Futures keeps the T-Bill at cost on the books and it is margined at 95%.

i960 and RosyScenario like this.
  8. truetype

truetype

Is 1 year the longest tenor you'll accept? Or will you take 2, 5, 10 year paper with a haircut?

As to Rosy's question, these are current Treasury yields--
    Code:
    1M 3M 1Y 2Y 3Y 5Y 10Y 30Y
    1.401 1.470 1.888 2.159 2.315 2.555 2.764 2.996

RosyScenario likes this.
  9. J.P.

J.P.

Thank you. Looks like you would need to pay higher commissions than you would otherwise pay at discount firms like AMP to get access to T-bills.

10. J.P.

J.P.

Do you offer 1-month and 3-month T-bills or only 1-year?

#10     Feb 1, 2018