Are software guys just buffers?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by NoMoreOptions, Dec 1, 2003.

1. It is eventually the hardware drives the industry. So anything done in software today will be eventually done in hardware tomorrow, won't it? So have you realized it now and start to think about becoming a hardware guy?

2. No.

3. No too.

4. I think that is somewhat backwards. The hardware business seems to have no margins therefore it is hard for me to see them as the industry driver especially with CPU speeds having run far ahead of the average users demand as everyone awaits for the killer app that will utilize all that power. ex SUNW vs MSFT/ORCL, etc....or in storage you see the firms like EMC acquiring firms like LGTO that are more software like a veritas.

However you do have a point though too. Some of the chip manufactures like ALTR and XLNX are starting to merge the two more and more with programable logic devices, and I think that quicksilver is at the front of that movement along with windriver and some other companies.

CSCO increasingly seems to be more of a software company than a hardware company IMO though at first appearances it would seem a contradiction to say that.

5. What do you mean no? no for what reason? Dare you explain? You think it is a no that kicks away the problem or the fact to others, in the same way as you guys dealing with design problems and bugs? Not a surprise, it is never be a software's problem, it is always buggy or incompatible hardware, isn't it?

Wake up now, admit software guys are just buffers. Then it is time to think about changes.

6. newtoet

newtoet

I have been selling software and hardware for 20 years. With few exceptions, hardware is a commodity. Software drives the hardware and the industry. You are COMPLETELY backwards in your assessment.

7. That is witnessed by the aveage compensation plan in the software vs. hardware industry. Software sales guys are on average 20% higher at plan than hardware sales guys.

Snoop knows all. Software is the driver.

8. newtoet

newtoet

How do you know all, Snoop? Who do you work for?

9. 10 years in software - applications; married wife with 8 years in hardware as a RM and VP of West Coast Ops for one of the "big three" - at the time!.

PM me if you want to know specific names.

10. CalTrader

CalTrader Guest

No, I dont think so. I have been in the software business for about 20 years - about the same time I started in the financial trading industry. I have been through numerous product cycles and industry "trends."

The fact of the matter is that hardware is cheap and getting cheaper - that is raw computing power. The factors that ignited the PC industry and even the big iron idustry - through each wave of technology - has been the existence of software. Without truly useful software hardware sales will lag.

Now, big chip companies with all their fab capacity have tried several times to appropriate sectors of software business by moving some functionality into hardware but most of these attempts have been marginally successful. There are algorithms which make more sense in hardware and as new advances come along some things will move to hardware but the need for new types of software that exist outside the chip will continue for a long time.

Your tone reminds me of an event at the 1993 Microsoft Chicago Developers conference when a speaker from Motorola started off his talk by stating that Motorola wanted to move a bunch of functionality onto their chips - stuff that directly competed with many members of the audience. A more senior marketing executive quickly walked up to the mike and ammended the statement. Well, we all know where Motorola is today .......

#10     Dec 1, 2003