Are screen traders at risk of eyesight problems ?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by Kicking, Jan 18, 2008.

1. Chronic close-up focus MAY make you near-sighted, at least that's one theory. Your eyes GROW longer, become misshapen which puts the crisp distance image focused in front of the retina. What you see with the retina is a facsimile, the ever blurred version.

#21     Jan 19, 2008
  2. I asked a doctor about this, and he said apart from brief blurry periods directly afterwards, no. It does no structural damage and will not permanently hurt your eyes, but may strain them.

his suggestion:

1) use a good LCD screen.
    2) use glasses if you need them.
    3) take frequent breaks and go outside and look at something far away.

Jay

#22     Jan 19, 2008
  3. Mins

Mins

My vision was 20/20 before i started, dont really know what its at now but getting much worse.

Its time i get some glasses to help me while im trading.

Other eye problems include bloodshot eyes after long time staring at the screen and major irritation to my left eye which hurts like a SOB at the end of the day.

I thought the problems might me an infection but got it checked out and was fine, just clear irriation of viewing screens all day. When i take a couple of days off from the screens, my eyes feel great.

Now put screens near window, also improved lighting around the screens and positioned all screen slightly further away.

Hope my eyes don't gradually get worse during next few years :mad:

#23     Jan 19, 2008
  4. That is what seems to be the general thinking among the medical community after a cursory google search. There is an increased risk of glaucome especially for short sighted people according to some studies. The thing is how do you know your eyes aren't just getting older ? A lot of people have to wear glasses past a ceretain age, and it has nothing to do with the computer age.

#24     Jan 19, 2008
  5. a piece of advice..

set those bad boys BACK BACK BACK as far as you can see them. further back the better for your eyse

your nose touching the screen how good can that be?

#25     Jan 19, 2008
  6. Trading is bad in so many ways.....eye sight, stress, back problems, hemorrhoids, headaches, irritability, depression, just to name a few. But -- and this is a pretty big BUT -- No Boss!

Ahhh....now doesn't that make it all worth while. :D

#26     Jan 19, 2008
  7. slacker

slacker

On another thread years ago on computer use and eyesight someone suggested putting a old fashioned lava lamp where you can see it while trading.

The lava lamp motions takes the focus off of the screen and is fluid. Makes sense to me and I added a lava lamp and I think it helps. (At least it cannot hurt!) I also think it is relaxing and helpful as a general stress reducer.

Good trading!

#27     Jan 19, 2008