are props trading crude/nat gas?

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by Scec, Jul 5, 2005.

1. Hi, I've been position trading nat gas for a while, and I recently moved to New York to trade upstairs for a floor trader here.

I've been sim trading crude e-minis for a couple of days now, and I'll go live with them in the next week or three. The liquidity is there for day trading, but probably not for scalping. (I did 21 round turns yesterday.)

#11     Jul 6, 2005
  2. Scec

Scec

Jason -
    when you were trading nat gas, were you trading thru the floor or on the screen? if on the screen, how was the liquidity?

and now that you are in NY, are you arb'ing screen-traded crude vs pit trade?

thanks

#12     Jul 6, 2005
  3. Eh, well I was trading from the screen, but I was trading the big contract and calling in my orders. The liquidity is fine with the big guys. It's just the e-miNYs that give you trouble.

#13     Jul 6, 2005
  4. okwon

okwon

#14     Jul 6, 2005
  5. artis74

artis74

I day trade both the crude and the natty on the screen. There is large liquidity in both and excellent opportunity. The mini's are a waste of time imo as they do less than 2% of the bigs volume and arent fungible with the floor. I have all the info on fees ect just pm me if you are interested.

#15     Jul 11, 2005
  6. TGM

TGM

look up MBF run by Fisher. He has a large prop group in Nymex.

http://www.mbfcc.com/

#16     Jul 11, 2005
  7. artis74

artis74

liquidity on the screen in natty is extremely good on the screen as is the oil. i cant emphasize this point enough DO NOT TRADE ON THE ICE/IPE NATIVE FRONT END UNLESS YOU WANT TO LOSE MONEY. It is beyond unstable and the two exchanges share back end technology. Hence when it get busy it freezes, crashes ect. and the peopl at ICE/IPE do not give a damn b/ thier volumes have grown 400% in ng and 1000% in oil since they got TT on board.

#17     Jul 11, 2005
  8. Hi, can you explain something?

I thought only the NYMEX minis could be done electronically; whereas the big contracts are not available during the day electronically (although before/after pit hours would be available?)

#18     Jul 11, 2005
  9. artis74

artis74

WTI oil is open outcry with non fingible minis on screen. IPE oil is all screen based.

#19     Jul 11, 2005
  10. Scec

Scec

artis74-
    when you describe the liquidity for natty, do you mean the IPE nat gas or the Nymex mini nat gas?
    also, regarding the IPE front end; are you saying just dont use the IPE front end, but anyone else's (like TT) is OK ?

#20     Jul 11, 2005