Are people excited that Beckham has come to the US?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ForexTraderMan, Aug 2, 2007.

1. ElCubano

ElCubano

dont forget the 3rd option....

take a dive while holding your ankle....:D

#41     Aug 6, 2007
  2. #42     Aug 6, 2007
  3. rock1968

rock1968

this argument is retarded. people have 2 sides to it but soccer is definitely a more skillful game than football. bottom line

#43     Aug 6, 2007
  4. andread

andread

i just watched a couple of videos on nfl.com. Dude, honestly, tell me I don't get it, but what I see is almost always the same: a guy passes the ball to another guy, who starts running. All around them, a lot of big dudes are kicking each other's ass. The smart guy? The one who passes the ball. And credits to the running guy.
    Even without considering soccer, I would take Steve Nash 100 times. That's also a nice game.

#44     Aug 6, 2007
  5. rock1968

rock1968

Agreed basketball requires skill. But nothing compared to soccer- the fitness levels in soccer are only a daunting propostion.

#45     Aug 6, 2007
  6. andread

andread

That's more or less what I think of football. I would say that many people agree with me.
    There is a difference though: in rugby you can pass the ball, actually building a game. In football the ball is passed once, in the best case, and only two people are trying to build something, and for a few seconds. Their teammates are just preventing their opponents from destroying it.

#46     Aug 6, 2007
  7. andread

andread

I'm not sure. My first reaction would be to agree, because soccer is the sport I grew up with. But i played basketball a bit, and I used to follow the NBA a lot, and on a second thought I would say that I can't really choose. Basketball is cool. For many ways they are similar.
    I would say that the most annoying thing in that game is that it's basically just for tall people.
    Concerning the fitness levels, I would say that bot are heavy. They are just different.

#47     Aug 6, 2007
  8. topdown

topdown

The fitness level for marathon runners is also very high, but I ain't watching that shit either.

#48     Aug 6, 2007
  9. rock1968

rock1968

I think it's quite impossible to compare but basketball has constant substitutions etc. Soccer doesn't have that. basketball has time outs. Soccer doesn't have that either.. There is no comparison between the two. Yes training wise both are equally hard- but on the court/field, soccer definitely beats it.

#49     Aug 6, 2007
  10. andread

andread

Yes, and basketball is played with the hands and soccer with the feet. Of course there are differences, but the concept, the "mentality" of the games are quite similar in a few ways.
    First, and very obvious: both games are team games where players pass each other a ball, wich they have to shoot to score.
    Second, and very important: both games offer a lot of variation in terms of physical playing (speed, strength), team playing (passes, synchronization, tactics), and individual movements (passes, shots). In all of theses cases movements can be carried out in many different ways, which show the creativity and the technical level of a player. This is why I call both "smart games"
    And I have to disagree again: I played both, and in both you can work your ass off. The difference is that soccer is more slow running, with occasional bursts, while basketball is more constant.

#50     Aug 6, 2007