Are options inherently a short-term trade?

Discussion in 'Options' started by .sigma, Dec 5, 2019.

1. Adam777

Adam777

There's an old discussion about this on the closed Capital Discussions forum

#41     Dec 13, 2019
    drcruz likes this.
  2. MKTrader

MKTrader

How are you (and others with similar strategies) holding up with the current volatility? Will you be okay if the market hits a new high (or drops another 10-20%) in the next month or two? I've heard good things about Bertino but I don't know of any live accounts (CTAs, personal blogs, etc.) where people can track how this style of trading is doing.

#42     Mar 3, 2020
  3. traderjo

traderjo

Compared to other Black box sellers this companies course may have soem value for a specific way of trading.. ( options and option spreads) but reason you won't find any any live accounts (CTAs,) most of the time is because ( with this or any "trader selling teaching methods" )

- They will probably need then to be licensed as financial or investment advisors ( In some jurisdiction these business require such a licence in some it won't(SEC- MAS Singapore don;t but ASIC does, FSA UK , not sure)
    - As a CTA their "System" will be exposed and
    subject to public scrutiny
    - Most
    probably They make more money by SELLING IT RATHER THAN USING IT TO RISK REAL MONEY OF OWN ( or manage a regulated fund)
    - They claim they are doing this for betterment of society (LOL)

I am sure there would be supporters here who will argue that there is nothing wrong with this, it is all legal ,regulations don;t work.. ,people are
    smart enough etc.....blahh blahh

Just to see how people are
    swindled by such "Education" companies do a search on "Share Market College" they were exposed by regulators because they were claiming they have an in house fund that used the same Technic that was soled on the "Trading course"
    ASIC actually recorded the seminars and put these swindlers out of business and
    hopefully saved some new bees and even experienced traders few thousand of dollars.
    SMC did not have
    the performance they were claiming becasue there was NO Inhouse fund at all !

Another example:
    A guy named Peter Spann ( Freeman fox ) was selling Covered call writing +
    Protective PUT as a system best thing since sliced bred.. presenting seminars to audience of hundreds in packed halls... but it all ended badly when ASIC started looking at it (although to his credit he did get licensed and started a manged fund)
    https://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-04-02/questions-raised-over-wealth-generator/4606044

Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
    #43     Mar 3, 2020
  4. MKTrader

MKTrader

Oh, I get it. There are tons of swindlers. And I'm sure some aggressive option sellers have already gotten margin calls or taken heavy losses and thrown in the towel...just like 2018. However, this group sounds different. Supposedly they take positions where they hedge for little or no downside and buy far-out puts for potential "black swan" gains. Even though they aren't CTAs, they can still post results (even if they're hypothetical). If their stated performance sounds really unrealistic to people in their forum or who have bought the course, they'll get called out--that's one good thing about the internet age.

#44     Mar 3, 2020
  5. traderjo

traderjo

as I said may be a some value but to post Hypothetical results does not involve any financial risk only reputation risk... so buyer beware ! If such a seller starts a licensed money management business then I would value them more than one who is just selling courses.. "practice what you preach" and all that... you know

#45     Mar 3, 2020
  6. MKTrader

MKTrader

This is the most transparent guru I've seen. I mean, it could all be fake and photoshopped, but I don't see any others showing what he does. He also likes to expose other "gurus." Two of them have tried to sue him. He and Ken Calhoun would have fun...

We'll see if he gives an update after this correction/volatility. He does a much more simple option-selling strategy (from what I can tell), so it doesn't seem like he'd be well hedged.

This guy claims to do a Ron Bertino-type approach and claims good performance, but again we'll have to wait and see if he gives a coronavirus market update.
    http://www.travelsandtrades.com/

#46     Mar 3, 2020
    .sigma likes this.
  7. Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face...

Every quant has a plan till a 7 standard deviation move...?

#47     Mar 4, 2020
    .sigma likes this.
  8. Hivey

Hivey

I follow this group as well. They are obsessed with covering/hedging for black swan events, so I expect they should still be doing fine at the moment. There's a guy from this group who blogs now and then,which can be found here. No post after the resent drop yet.

I do like their strategy, but am not applying it myself. Would like to hear from drcruz how he's doing now though.

#48     Mar 4, 2020
  9. MKTrader

MKTrader

Yeah, it's a pretty complex strategy. I'm familiar with more common option strategies (and used to trade some of them), but haven't wanted to invest the time, money, software, etc. learning this stuff without knowing how it will really perform in the long-run and during deep drawdowns. I also don't know how subjective it is...it seems there are different ways to make adjustments when there are big moves (up or down). Some do very well in a meltdown or melt up while others make a different move and have losses.

Are you actually a paid member in Ron's group, Aeromir or any similar ones?

#49     Mar 4, 2020
  10. .sigma

.sigma

Link?

#50     Mar 11, 2020