Are options inherently a short-term trade?

Discussion in 'Options' started by .sigma, Dec 5, 2019.

1. Everything.

#31     Dec 6, 2019
  2. drcruz

drcruz

I follow Ron Bertino of Trading Dominion and I've tweaked his base trade to where I enter a position from 90 to 180 DTE. It back tests well

#32     Dec 7, 2019
  3. Wheezooo

Wheezooo

He must be good. In all my career I never met someone who has created their own original hedge strategy out of existing vanilla option contracts.

and...

"Ron designed as a downside hedge to a trader’s at-the-money market neutral options strategies."

Hedges against strategies that are market neutral... priceless.

#33     Dec 7, 2019
    Same Lazy Element and newwurldmn like this.
  4. .sigma

.sigma

So you put stops on debit spreads? Can you give me an example please?

Cheers!

#34     Dec 7, 2019
  5. ironchef

ironchef

Nothing wrong, he hedges against his market neutral options strategies, just in case they don't work. :p

#35     Dec 7, 2019
    zdave83 and drcruz like this.
  6. Ah, no. The stop is already inherent in the spread.

#36     Dec 7, 2019
  7. drcruz

drcruz

Why is this priceless? And BTW it's true. If you're controlling the T-0 line why is this not true?

#37     Dec 7, 2019
  8. ajensen

ajensen

Buying or selling a 1-month option is inherently a short-term trade, but a regularly selling 1-month ATM straddles on the S&P 500 to harvest the volatility risk premium could be considered a long-term investment strategy. I am not saying it is a good or bad strategy.

The long term is just the sum of short terms.

#38     Dec 7, 2019
    CannonTrading_Ilan likes this.
  9. .sigma

.sigma

You said you put stops on everything, including debit spreads? Maybe I misinterpreted your post.

#39     Dec 7, 2019
  10. .sigma

.sigma

I agree but I'm not talking about selling 1-month ATM Straddles. I'm talking about buying/selling far out in the term structure, maybe 6 months to a year out.

#40     Dec 12, 2019