Are most traders married?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Buy1Sell2, Apr 30, 2006.

Do you discuss trading with your spouse and family?

1. I am married and discuss trading with spouse/family

113 vote(s)
    29.1%
  2. I am married and don't discuss trading with spouse /family

75 vote(s)
    19.3%
  3. I am single and discuss trading with significant other/family

78 vote(s)
    20.1%
  4. I am single and don't discuss trading with significant other/family

88 vote(s)
    22.7%
  5. I am married and spouse/family doesn't know I trade

4 vote(s)
    1.0%
  6. I am single and no one else knows I trade

30 vote(s)
    7.7%
  1. gnome

gnome

Married, and no. Wife says, "you take care of it... I don't want to be bothered." Rest of the family still asks, "are you still a stock broker?" (Never was a stock broker, but that's what they concluded before when I explained.)

#11     Apr 30, 2006
  2. I read of some horror stories... husband hiding losses... wife nagging... wifey "dissatisfied" husband's never around cuz he's working.

How many traders have divorced? That's a better question, imo. When I hear these things I am that much less interested in tying that knot. I think in this business u need 101% support from your immediate family.

#12     Apr 30, 2006
  3. Cutten

Cutten

Good traders never get married to a position, no matter how attractive it appears. Getting married is like going limit-long in a single position, and relying for protection on a stop loss that takes 6 months to process, and ends up costing you half your account.

Instead, good traders should diversify their investments, and rapidly exit any positions the moment they start going sour.

#13     Apr 30, 2006
  4. HA, i discussed a 95 hundred dollar loss with the gal once (when learning how to trade) and she said: "Is it always going to be like this? I said: "Well, i hope not, HA.

Next year she flew the coop and found a new fool.. some nuclear physicist type. She said: " I need security"..

Now i get to spend all the money. :D

When it was all done and (we are still distant friends) over i asked her if the fella glowed in the dark and if that was the real draw. :cool: :cool:

#14     Apr 30, 2006
  5. cml2949

cml2949

haha some of these posts are hilarious. .I'm not married though, but I believe some people need the emotional support of a loved one/ gf. When speaking to others about what I do, I'm usually in the category of a stock trader or if I have my series 7, but I'm in the futures markets !

#15     May 1, 2006
  6. I keep Electric on a short string.

Wifey

#16     May 1, 2006
  7. Moreagr

Moreagr

yup ultimately all they want is security after the living on the edge..now when the first stage of their life is over..

at first its i need a guy that is bad and exciting (loser or druggie) :p yeah and forget about the nice guy (he is boring) then when they enter the next stage of their life 30's and up they want security and comfort through $$$$

that the way life is :D

#17     May 1, 2006
  8. I blew up my first account and hid it from my then girlfriend until the elephant was 30k, not anymore.

I set it up this time as a 2 member LLC and we discuss how I do every day whether it be sim or real dough. My wife is a great supporter and forgiving for my earlier dumb moves.

I also put one fail safe into my trading plan to exercise strict discipline.

If I don't follow the plan then my wife the VP of the LLC has the authority to demote me to sim for 2-3 days or until I can demonstrate that I am following the rules. This may sound laughable, but I think begining traders like me need to be accountable to someone other than themselves. Some use a trading coach for $$$ to be accountable, I use someone vested in my financial well being.

Dan

#18     May 1, 2006
  9. I married to the market. My girlfriend gets very jealous.:D

Runningbear

#19     May 1, 2006
  10. eagle

eagle

There's some truth what they said.

#20     May 1, 2006