Are Mentoring Services worth the investment ?

Discussion in 'Educational Resources' started by hayman, May 22, 2004.

1. hayman

hayman

Yes, guys, I agree. One of my favorite quotes is from Woody Allen: "Those who can't Do, Teach, and those who can't Teach, Teach Gym." I'm not certainly implying that all teachers aren't do-ers (that is certainly not the case), but there appears to be a lot of "teachers" out there, who cannot Do !

#11     May 23, 2004
  2. backman

backman

you may want to consider contacting Chuck Dukas...he was my mentor for some years and, overall, the experience was most worthwhile.....very useful in helping me learn how to think....i have my own version of what to think

http://www.trendadvisor.com/index.htm

take a look at the training services

#12     May 23, 2004
  3. Hi bobcathy1...thanks and its been awhile since you and I have talked.

I don't mentor.

Spouse and I have a toddler and mentoring would required for me to be away from my family for several weeks at a time...such isn't too appealing...

Much easier to just trade.

However, I do get a lot of private messages and emails by those wanting me to recommend a mentor to them or by those wanting to do some mentoring (so far nobody has passed my criteria).

I did mentor once and it was done freely...its hard work...

Harder than trading.

I want to repeat something I've said before...I don't believe mentoring is a good option unless all other resources has been exhausted including self-taught...

Whereas I wouldn't hesitate nor have I ever to be mentored in other areas of my life such as sports, photography et cetera...

Trading is just a different breed.

I'll also repeat that all mentoring should be done in the home office of the trader being mentored...

Mentor will be able to make recommendations so that the trader has a suitable environment for trading.

In addition, I didn't know #Emini had paid mentoring service.

I'll be much careful in the future about mentioning that room as a free chat room especially if they are advertising themselves as mentors or mentioning their mentoring fee-based services in the room.

I plan on getting back to traveling once the toddler gets a little older.

Spouse and I have relatives in different cities in several parts of the world.

I plan on visiting traders I have a good interaction with in those cities.

I will trade side by side with the trader for a few hours as the spouse does her shopping thing...

Freely sharing little trading tidbits and maybe I can get a free lunch or dinner out of the deal.

NihabaAshi

#13     May 23, 2004
  4. bobcathy1

bobcathy1 Guest

Nihaba Ashi....there are now a pile of people in #emini who offer paid services with their fancy "newfangled" indicators. I no longer frequent that room. I am in private chats.

I did not realize you did not mentor. But I do enjoy your words of wisdom and they have helped me.

:)

#14     May 23, 2004
  5. Everest

Everest

Well that's really helpful.

#15     May 24, 2004
  6. The "advisers" I witnessed in #emini practiced the fine art of "past posting" their trades . Nearly every trade posted had 1-3 tics of profit on the trade versus the current bid/ask at time of posting. All exits occured on an adverse move and of course were posted as having occurred just before the turn. In short they were less than honest about their trade signals, let alone any actual trading. I asked one guru "neato" ( his website dt1.netfirms.com) to provide a screenshot of his IB execution report. His response was to say " either you can be taught or not, what I make trading this indicator is of no interest to you". This is the classic blame the student approach to maintaining a facade of profitable trading. Smells like SNAKE OIL imho.

#16     May 27, 2004