are markets truly random?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by wildknights, Dec 29, 2007.

1. patoo

patoo

The random question has been asked and answered a hundred times since I have been paying attention to this board.

The <B>random</B> question is never asked by those who made money, only those who blew up their account.

Can't we retire this foolish random question?

I bought 100 shares of CSCO in Sep of 1992. Considering splits the price I paid was 75 cents.

Thats a 36 times increase even with the Dot Com Bubble.

It aint random

:D

#31     Dec 30, 2007
    #32     Dec 30, 2007
  3. Frankly, I think you're one of the best posters here PTF. I've learned a lot from reading your posts.

More great points from you!!:)

#33     Dec 30, 2007
  4. BSAM

BSAM

(Tapping a spoon on a half-full glass of iced tea)---

Class.....Class.....May I have your attention please?

Please pay attention to these important points:

#1 The market is random.

#2 Trading is simple.

#3 Everything works some of the time.

#4 Nothing works all of the time.

All those who believe markets are not random, please feel free to show us that #4 is wrong, and further, please tell us how it feels knowing with certainty the outcome of every trade you put on will be a winner.

#34     Dec 30, 2007
  5. So, BSAM, I should throw out my real-time correlation coefficient studies? Because you can't tell whether causality or random walk created a straight line? And because Z-scores are utterly worthless for the same reason? But the study is so PRETTY! I like the illusion of causality because it makes my trades seem less random. And if I thought my trades were random I would never have the nerve to put them on. Random trading with money management is such a poor alternative psychologically to the imagined confidence of causality-based trading.

#35     Dec 30, 2007
  6. BSAM

BSAM

You're a brave man, Hypo. You just don't know it. ;>)

#36     Dec 30, 2007
  7. True words of Wisdon BSAM. Excellent post!

#37     Dec 30, 2007
  8. Thanks tradestrong. I had the opportunity to learn on a message board similar to this when I was trying to find my way so I am more than willing to give something back.

#38     Dec 30, 2007
  9. Spot on again BSAM. Those who trade successfully based on technical analysis simply don't know how good they are at trading randomness. They have skills that even they can't fully appreciate.

#39     Dec 30, 2007
  10. That's 100% predictable. :D

#40     Dec 30, 2007