Are Laptops/Notebooks better then WorkStations/Desktops for Traders?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mahram, Jan 22, 2006.

Do you prefer laptops or desktops?

1. Laptops

16 vote(s)
    32.7%
  2. Desktops

33 vote(s)
    67.3%
  1. aapl ibook g4; processor 1.2 GHz.
    Just upgraded RAM to 768MB, but no improvements whatsoever: with fewer symblos and no charts things slightly better but still very slow. No applets running on the background, only TWS.

#31     Jan 25, 2006
  2. MRWSM

MRWSM

Some days I do 20-30 round trip trades and I use a desktop and also I have no problem using my laptop, no difference. The only thing I notice is when it is hot it tends to slow down quite a bit. That's why I keep it lean in the amount of software running and keep it maintained and secure from spyware. I have a 2.3 Gig Laptop, probably the newer M processor with 1.6 Gigs won't have the heating issues.

#32     Jan 25, 2006
  3. It's when the mkt opens and the flow of orders come through that performance deteriorates; during extended hours things are a bit better, but not anywhere near acceptable.

It seems pretty clear that 1.4gig can't handle TWS.

#33     Jan 25, 2006
  4. this bloomberg on the laptop,

is this the subscription channel that is seen on cable tv?

how to get this through broadband? PM me

#34     Jan 26, 2006
  5. I used to trade on my desktop, but have gradually moved everything to the laptops. The desktop replacement-type laptops are now plenty enough power and speed for my trading needs.

The mobility factor is huge to me, and unless you need to run a ton of monitors all the time, I don't know what the downside is. Some of the larger laptops even have full keyboards, the big ass HP one even has a number pad (although I am not sure I would recommend that model) And you can get wireless keyboards for when you are working at your desk, and of course you can plug second monitors in.

I have a Vaio that has a widescreen native 1920 x 1200 screen res. Not good for reading lots of text, but rocks for lots of charts when not connected to a second monitor. Its rather heavy, but I don't need to run a marathon with it, so I don't mind the extra lbs.

I can trade if I am traveling. I can grab my laptop and trade outside from my patio. Internet/power/whatever goes out at my place, I can grab the laptop and head to a friends. If I am stuck in a tricky trade but need to use my facilities, no prob! LOL, it would suck to have try and carry the desktop and monitor into the potty in a moment of dual market and bodily urgency, eh.
    :eek:

#35     Jan 26, 2006
  6. On laptop CPU speed:
    I run TWS with tracking about 40 issues, recording all to database and retransmitting data to my LAN, this on a laptop with 512MB memory and a AMD Sempron CPU. The linux OS runs with CPU speed throttling. My CPU speed ALWAYS stays at the lowest 800MHz level, it never has to throttle up to 1200 or 1600. The fan switches on for a few minutes once every 6 hours or so.

#36     Jan 26, 2006

7. PM you? Your outgoing PM function not working?

$2000/month with exchange fees. There isn't anything left to discuss.

#37     Jan 26, 2006
  8. zdreg

zdreg

what is this public posting of PM me. if you want something in a PM private message the person.

#38     Jan 26, 2006