Are Laptops/Notebooks better then WorkStations/Desktops for Traders?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mahram, Jan 22, 2006.

Do you prefer laptops or desktops?

1. Laptops

16 vote(s)
    32.7%
  2. Desktops

33 vote(s)
    67.3%
  1. No intention of buying laptops no more: Im waiting for imac to come out here in uk.

#21     Jan 24, 2006
  2. If I may add, this kind of sounds like a point of belief. I would say: first try, then buy. This sometimes avoids you to have to throw things out of the window.

#22     Jan 24, 2006
  3. I've already investigated imac potentials and it's perfectly suited for trading and my applications: dual core intel is very fast and the main problem with my ibook was the high CPU usage; this won't be an issue whatsoever with imac.

#23     Jan 24, 2006
  4. cool! world traveling trading chicks with laptops. is she cute?

:D :)

#24     Jan 24, 2006
  5. gnome

gnome

Overly optimistic? "High CPU usage" was mostly likely a software app issue. If you're going to be running the same software on your [new and wonderful] iMac, don't be surprised to find that little has changed.

#25     Jan 24, 2006
  6. First of all, I tried imac already on demonstration room and run TWS with no problems and the issue is not software 'cause I run TWS with no applets: CPU on my ibook simply can't handle TWS.
    Second, I need another pc, cause I need to monitor other things (chat/bloomberg) and will use ibook just for that, while I'll dedicate imac just for TWS.
    By the way I know of someone here (very trustworthy) on et who just bought imac and trade through IB and has nothing but good things to say about it.

#26     Jan 24, 2006
  7. I just read this today: http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0601intelearly.html..... "Apple markets the Intel iMac and MacBook Pro as two-times and four-times faster than their PowerPC predecessors, respectively, the company continues to sell those PowerPC counterparts for the same price as the new Intel systems.

It's that very performance claim that sources say is negatively impacting sales of the new systems, since very few applications run natively and can take advantage of the new Core Duo processor....."

Also saw this: http://www.macfixit.com/.... "Java applications a sore spot One of the largest segments of applications that will fail to run under Rosetta on Intel-based Macs are those that are Java-based."

Maybe best to buy a G5 imac or powermac for now instead of the intc mac.

#27     Jan 24, 2006
  8. resinate,

You put your finger on something that has been said many times in this thread. It is useful to repeat this as many appear unconvinced. In fact it is not only a Mac problem.

#28     Jan 25, 2006
  9. Im going to run further tests, if there are really problems I'll go with G5 that works perfectly with TWS.
    Still, many mixed opinions on imac from people who don't even own one, no conclusive evidence it really has any issues and I couldn't care the less about applets, that are going to be upgraded in the future anyways, the only thing I care is TWS.

#29     Jan 25, 2006
  10. what kind of laptop did you have?

#30     Jan 25, 2006