Are Laptops/Notebooks better then WorkStations/Desktops for Traders?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mahram, Jan 22, 2006.

Do you prefer laptops or desktops?

1. Laptops

16 vote(s)
    32.7%
  2. Desktops

33 vote(s)
    67.3%
  1. omniscient

omniscient Guest

not really. it just seemed to be an odd statement towards something that specifically highlighted one of your own points. no biggie here.
    again, you are echoing my point (which went along with your original point :D). it wouldn't matter what this lady traded on, she would win. if she used smoke signals with carrier pigeons as a backup, she'd win. so, i agree, it is the user that makes the difference.

take care and trade well friend :)

omni

btw: when i read my post, the second half is in a smaller font than the first half. i go to edit it, but don't see anything that indicates a font change. does it actually appear the same to others? if so, anything i can do in my post to correct it? tia

#11     Jan 22, 2006
  2. Same to you; good luck this week. :)

#12     Jan 22, 2006
  3. Are Laptops/Notebooks better then WorkStations/Desktops for Traders?
    They only weigh less and take less place. With wireless, you can walk around with them easily. They are (mostly) absolutely quiet :) .

I use two Fujitsu slim sized 15" wide screen AMD Sempron 3200 powered units - price $900) One handles the broker and datafeed traffic routinely, the other as a handy carry around thing for everything.
    All development and trading supervision work runs off a 3 screen workstation.

Trying to replace a workstation with a laptop makes it very pricey and you lose the handiness of real laptop/notebooks.
    Better stick to a competitively priced workstation and a cheap laptop with amazing speed.

#13     Jan 23, 2006
  4. I wish they could make notebooks and laptops able to seperate the screen and keyboard. I find after awhile that its painful typing in that same squished position.

#14     Jan 24, 2006
  5. BKuerbs

BKuerbs

Could this one from Dell be useful for you?

regards

Bernd Kuerbs

#15     Jan 24, 2006
  6. #16     Jan 24, 2006
  7. My home office has two desktops.

However, I mainly trade from my one or both of my laptops because of the mobility at home especially for those that have young toddler(s) at home like me.

Laptops are quiet in comparison to my desktops and I can do work or trade from anywhere in the house (all seasons) or patio (summer) especially when the spouse is unable to watch the toddler for whatever reasons.

In addition, I travel a few times per year to visit other traders and when trading in front of somebody...

Best to do it from the security of my own laptop and not from someone's else desktop.

Use a wireless keyboard and wireless mouse.

It's what I use, works great and you'll have the exact same keyboard/mouse setup that your familiar with on your desktop.

I also have a big flat screen monitor in the armoire upstairs in the master bedroom.

My laptop supports dual monitors and with wireless keyboard/mouse.

There's been a few occassions when I was sick during a swing trade...

I've traded from bed.

No way could I have done that from my desktops that's in my home office in the basement.

Also, I can't remember his ET alias but there's an ET member that recently had major surgery on his leg after suffering some broken bones from a ski accident.

He's been trading fulltime while on best rest from his laptop...something he couldn't do from his desktop in his home office.

Mark
    (a.k.a. NihabaAshi) Japanese Candlestick term

#17     Jan 24, 2006
  8. My broker connection runs through a laptop (semi-automated system). Laptops have one heck of a built in UPS...

smitty

#18     Jan 24, 2006
  9. Don't let me start with laptops; I cursed mine ad nauseam in the chat room and feel compelled to throw it out of the window on every trading session.

fkuc'em

#19     Jan 24, 2006
  10. Laptop buying isn't that simple. Never spend more than $900. Don't buy a lemmon though - I returned 2 models before I was satisfied. Maybe you ought to try picking up a good one this time. I wouldn't do without my workstation(s) but I couldn't go on without a laptop.

#20     Jan 24, 2006