Are IB accounts protected from fraud and unauthorized access?

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by ScaleOut, Apr 14, 2007.

1. Not to jump in the fire, but I am curious. Maklada says take off and go to E Trade. E Trade was one of the brokers and hacked in the Russian pump and dump right? How can this happen? I would like to learn to. Are they tricking ppl. to download something on their PC and then it's a keylogger? E Trade has token security so how does that happen? I run a number of security programs and have a firewall with NAT so I think I am pretty good off, although I do surf rarely on a trading PC.

#51     Apr 20, 2007
  2. It appears that Def and I disagree about the need for IB to provide fraud insurance coverage, but I certainly don't think that he is out of line or that he should be fired. I think Def's presence on EliteTrader and on IB's discussion boards is extremely beneficial to IB and its customers, because of the crucial role he plays in facilitating communication and troubleshooting. He takes a lot of abuse, yet remains largely diplomatic, instead of responding in kind. I'm sure that IB's management would agree that these attacks on Def are totally baseless and ludicrous. If I am correctly informed, Def's bboard participation is not considered part of his job description, and is done on a volunteer basis. I only hope that Def will not allow this type of juvenile behavour to deter him from continuing to play his very beneficial role on public bulletin boards.

#52     Apr 20, 2007
  3. Just read my previous posts in this thread for some ideas. It should be obvious to you that I cannot make a plan for IB, more detailed than the suggestions I have already made on this thread, because I do not have sufficient information to determine exactly how IB should run its business.

#53     Apr 20, 2007
  4. So in short. No.

#54     Apr 20, 2007
  5. #55     Apr 20, 2007
  6. GTC

GTC

michaelscott, does TD Ameritrade nowadays take months to transfer an account? :confused:

#56     Apr 20, 2007
  7. Phrases like this......

Make me nervous...

It's based on Their determination... So is it really protection???

Give me examples (full details) of these promises fulfilled....

#57     Apr 20, 2007
  8. GTC

GTC

Here are Ameritrade's provisions on its asset protection guarantee from fraud. Does anyone know what are such provisions for Schwab?

#58     Apr 20, 2007
  9. What that means is if you fall for a phishing email then their protection is off. Seems everyone and their brother gets a phony email that says it is from eBay or PayPal or looks like it came from your bank and says to the effect.."In doing routine security we have noticed attempts to gain access to your account so we have suspended your account until you verify ownership of your account. To do so, please click on the link and enter your user name and password." blah blah blah.

And it is amazing how many people who fall for those phishing emails. I have read where some came from eTrade but they really were not from eTrade and yet people clicked on the bogus link in the email and entered their account user name and password. Then suddenly the crooks wiped the account out of whatever money was in there. All because YOU gave the crooks your user name and password due to your falling for a phishing email.

Anyone who uses the internet to trade, bank or eBay or use PayPal should know that YOU NEVER EVER CLICK ON A LINK IN A EMAIL but many do and if you do and crooks steal your money from your Ameritrade account, they are NOT responsible because YOU aided the crooks!

And since almost all identity theft which results in wiping out someone's account results from a phishing email IMO, that then means there will not be that many cases where Ameritrade or other companies would actually have to reimburse you.

For those who want to learn more about PHISHING, read this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phishing

#59     Apr 21, 2007
  10. Thats Just one such scenario.....

#60     Apr 21, 2007