Are healthy food franchises a viable business?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Maverick1, Feb 4, 2019.

1. Maverick1

Maverick1

Now THAT, is another story - hard to beat those combos...

#11     Feb 5, 2019
  2. ElCubano

ElCubano

The most successful giordinos here is right next to FIU college

#12     Feb 5, 2019
  3. tiddlywinks

tiddlywinks

Given the small/medium town you referred to earlier, you are right to seriously question/doubt, imo. You don't get the luxury of alienating, segmenting, or otherwise not appealing to your population. Not in significant numbers anyway.

"Healthy" comes in many forms. The salad bar mentioned by @ElCubano as example. (Not saying a salad bar is a good way to go). Here in Las Vegas, asian "bowls" are a big thing. Teriyaki Madness in particular. Poke' bowls are growing quickly too, but I havent seen any franchises(doesn't mean there aren't any tho)... maybe a clue IMO, that poke' (and sushi burritos) are fad-foods rather than long-term changing/evolving food trends. Again, that's just my take on poke'. Due to the overall weather climate here, Tropical Smoothie Cafe, and Yogurtland do strong business too. Healthy comes in many forms.

Also keep in mind.... franchising is not only food!! Take a look at Entrepreneur Magazine here... https://www.entrepreneur.com/franchise500/2019

Many other franchise sites exist as well.

#13     Feb 5, 2019
    Maverick1 likes this.
  4. well, you can stop wondering. No. :)

#14     Feb 7, 2019
  5. kerkita

kerkita

It seems to me that everything depends on consumers. If you open a health food establishment in the right place, then you are lucky. Or via the Internet you will send out a newsletter to interested companies or individuals, and you will also have a demand for products. True, you will have to lower the price a little more than the competition. Plus cook from really healthy foods.

#15     Apr 22, 2019
  6. Make no mistake. If you're buying a restaurant, you ARE buying a job. If you hire a manager to do your job, it's more than likely you will make less than if you just bought a dividend paying stock.

That business will be your life, so you better love being in that restaurant 12 hours per day if you buy one.

#16     May 7, 2019
  7. ElCubano

ElCubano

The franchise I’m talking about looks to net $90 to $160k a year as owner benefit. According to my friend he can operate it from his iPhone. Lol.

#17     May 8, 2019
  8. stan1

stan1

I'd have to agree with this. The entire franchise model is based on the fact that they have a system that is working. You aren't buying the 'business' you are buying the 'system'.

In your due diligence you will get all the financials and pro-forma information that will give you, or should give you the exact numbers you will have to make to hit your goals.

As with everything in life, you can expect out what you put in. A franchise is just a short cut to owning your own business. You are buying through the learning and experience curve.

#18     Jul 9, 2019
    ElCubano likes this.
  9. Maverick1

Maverick1

Right but there's different shades of grey in the food franchise model. Buying a McDonalds franchise is not the same thing as buying a lesser proven concept such as a "healthy foods" franchise.

MCD covers the gamut in terms of price points (mostly lower), but a lot of healthy foods franchises have much higher average selling prices, one I was looking at prices its bowls at $12-13 for example. Hardly strikes one as viable for steady repeat business, no?

#19     Jul 18, 2019
  10. stan1

stan1

Don't know. Depends entirely on where you live.
    Where I live, that is about average. Suppose if I go into rural communities I'd see less expensive meals. Also the menu would differ dramatically.

Steady, repeat business comes from offering something someone wants at a fair price. Trading value for value. If you business falls off, you are missing part of the equation.

#20     Jul 19, 2019