Are Greeks lazy?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by noob_trad3r, May 3, 2010.

1. zdreg

zdreg

correct. that is the obama goals the gov't takes over most parts of american economic life.

#11     May 3, 2010
  2. 377OHMS

377OHMS

Who is lazy in Europe?

Lets see, Germany is associated with all kinds of heavy industry and is a major exporter of vehicles and other industrial products. Definitely not lazy.

France is associated these days with a good amount of heavy industry, defense work and aerospace. They basically operate their own world-class space launch center in Fr. Guiana. They work about 35 hours per week and have the obligatory 30-days off per year but I would say definitely not lazy.

Holland: lol

Spain/Portugal: Actually quite a few products associated with these countries. Spain exports alot of agriculture equipment and both countries produce many food products and export much agricultural products. Yeah, I know they have the siesta culture but that really means they work two somewhat foreshortened shifts per day. Few may agree but I'm going with definitely not lazy.

Greece: lol!

Italy: Surprising amounts of heavy industry here with emphasis on design and occasionally quality implementation. Heavy marine industrial work, marine architecture etc going on. Alot of the cities look to be decaying but I'm still going with defintely not lazy. The stores in the US are full of italian products.

Switzerland: not lazy

UK: still major heavy industry here. Many oil rigs are constructed here (in the north) and towed to the site. Still alot of ship-building. Still the major financial center of the world (imo). These people aren't afraid to get up early in the morning. Definitely not lazy.

Iceland: lol!

Sweden/Norway/Finland: No idea. I have no idea what these people do to make a living except make cellphones. Nobody living this far north is lazy though, except of course Iceland. :)

#12     May 3, 2010
  3. zdreg

zdreg

your post is surface observations with no facts and no comparisons.

#13     May 3, 2010
  4. morganist

morganist Guest

he was just joking. he did not mean it. he was just making a joke about peoples stereotypes. sarcasm.

#14     May 3, 2010
  5. I always liked this overview of Europe

In Heaven…

* the mechanics are German
    * the chefs are French
    * the police are British
    * the lovers are Italian
    * and everything is organized by the Swiss.

In Hell…

* the mechanics are French
    * the police are German
    * the chefs are British
    * the lovers are Swiss
    * and everything is organized by the Italians.

I guess the Greeks are too lazy to even make this list
    :) :) :)

(just kidding of course... Greeks are
    good people)

#15     May 3, 2010
  6. zdreg

zdreg

you are probably right but considering the amount of nonsense that is posted on ET one can never be sure. however, there is sufficient interesting information on ET to make it a good read.

thx for your input.

#16     May 3, 2010
  7. Most experts don't think Greece is fixed -http://www.socialnews.biz/tag/Greece

I am staying cautious.

#17     May 3, 2010
  8. morganist

morganist Guest

no it is not. all they have done is enabled them to pay off the interest outstanding for the next month. this is why they set the austerity agreement to stop the need for further loans to support the repayments. although this assumes the current income. as the investment is diminished from the austerity agreement the ability of the economy to generate income is no longer that viable. in short the solution in itself may damage the economy more than it helps. the only way they could reduce costs and not impact their domestic economy would be to reduce imports to cut costs and maintain domestic spending. this would reduce costs that have no internal benefit without affecting the ability to generate income. in short costs are cut without affecting gdp. in turn the loan repayments are not affected preventing future default and the need to ask for bridging loans is gone. they would slowly reduce the deficit through strengthening their domestic economy and lowering external costs.

this should be the suggestion they should be looking at. as usual the economic analysis is lacking. any thoughts.

#18     May 3, 2010
  9. I've been to Greece several times on business. People work there like in any other place of the world. I was in the shipping business for many years and I know that Greeks control about 25% of international dry cargo, crude and product transport. People in the private sector work very hard and many hours. I remember the shipping company I used to visit they started at 8:00 am and finished at 10:00 pm every day. You probably refer to public sector benefits but that is hardly the norm.

Now, it is really stupid to call a whole country lazy. I think you are lazy for posting stupid junk. Get a life.

#19     May 3, 2010
  10. JSSPMK

JSSPMK

The impression I get about Greek people is that in general they look for ways of how to cheat a system. I wouldn't say they are lazy though, I know some hard working Greeks. A lot of Greeks do enjoy to lie quite a bit.

#20     May 3, 2010