Are Field Goals the Sacrifice Bunts of Football?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AAAintheBeltway, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Momentum should not be a factor for a well-coached team. What is momentum anyway? The last play went our way? BFD. Of course, you need a coach who has the ability to communicate what he is doing to the team and get them to buy in to it. Then they won't be crushed if a decision that was correct on the probabilities goes against them.

Another statistic I wish they would keep is the number of times a defense forces a three and out. To me, that is highly significant. A three and out almost guarantees good field position( and yes, it is a momentum changer). There is a lot of difference in forcing a three and out from the 25 and letting a team get a couple of first downs and forcing them to punt from their 40. I think the logic of it is that defenses should take more chances when they have the other team backed up. Instead, most coordinators tend to play it safe in that situation. They're worried about giving up a big play, which can get them fired. I maintain that a three and out when the opponent is backed up in their own end is almost as good as a turnover and justifies taking some risks.

I probably wouldn't last long as a coach. The owner would fire me for making idiotic decisions. Over the course of a few seasons however, i think they'd play out in my favor. I know this. If I was a coach, I'd spend the resources to know what teh odds were in these situations.

Anyway, this kind of second-guessing is what makes the games interesting for me, since I no longer bet on them.

#11     Aug 24, 2007