Are Evangelicals the New KKK?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by jamis359, Dec 13, 2007.

1. I think I've made a good case that conservative Christians are a white group with their own agenda.

#11     Dec 13, 2007
  2. ... are not the Huckleberrians equally as disdainful of the atheists?

#12     Dec 13, 2007
  3. Jess L. Christensen, Institute of Religion director at Utah State University, Logan, Utah. On first hearing, the doctrine that Lucifer and our Lord, Jesus Christ, are brothers may seem surprising to some—especially to those unacquainted with latter-day revelations. But both the scriptures and the prophets affirm that Jesus Christ and Lucifer are indeed offspring of our Heavenly Father and, therefore, spirit brothers. Jesus Christ was with the Father from the beginning. Lucifer, too, was an angel “who was in authority in the presence of God,” a “son of the morning.” (See Isa. 14:12; D&C 76:25–27.) Both Jesus and Lucifer were strong leaders with great knowledge and influence. But as the Firstborn of the Father, Jesus was Lucifer’s older brother. (See Col. 1:15; D&C 93:21.)

http://www.lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.j...f960417b010VgnVCM1000004d82620a____&hideNav=1

#13     Dec 14, 2007
  4. Are you as equally offended at the way the left treats christians?

#14     Dec 14, 2007
  5. typical liberal whining because one guy made one comment and so all of his political party is a bunch of criminals....i didn't say mormons are anything...although i think they are weird....and Joseph Smith was not anyone special........just another guy hearing voices that were his own.......their book is a couple hundred or less years old, mine is thousands.......duh....when Barack hussein obama wins we can all get along better.......

#15     Dec 14, 2007
  6. Turok

Turok

Bb:
    >... their book is a couple hundred or less
    >years old, mine is thousands

OMG -- all these years I've been waiting for evidence that could stand up to the hardest scrutiny. Now I've found it.

That's it ... I'm finally convinced the Bible is the way to truth.

JB

#16     Dec 14, 2007
  7. I didn't read the entire speech, but that was not what I took away from it. He did make a strong defense of traditional religious observances during public functions or in public facilities. Noting the strong role of religion and religious people in our country's history is not the same as saying atheists are not part of the country. They have chosen not to take part in something that is part of our tradition as a country. Intolerance arises when they then demand to deny that tradition to the rest of us because it somehow offends them.

#17     Dec 14, 2007
  8. Here is the quote:

In John Adams' words: "We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion. ... Our Constitution," he said, "was made for a moral and religious people." Freedom requires religion just as religion requires freedom. Freedom opens the windows of the soul so that man can discover his most profound beliefs and commune with God. Freedom and religion endure together, or perish alone.

According to Romney, the Constitution is not for atheists and atheists cannot have freedom. For anyone who argues that these were the words of John Adams, here is the complete quote from John Adams:

While our country remains untainted with the principles and manners which are now producing desolation in so many parts of the world; while she continues sincere, and incapable of insidious and impious policy, we shall have the strongest reason to rejoice in the local destination assigned us by Providence. But should the people of America once become capable of that deep simulation towards one another, and towards foreign nations, which assumes the language of justice and moderation while it is practising iniquity and extravagance, and displays in the most captivating manner the charming pictures of candor, frankness, and sincerity, while it is rioting in rapine and insolence, this country will be the most miserable habitation in the world; because we have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion. Avarice, ambition, revenge, or gallantry, would break the strongest cords of our Constitution as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.

It's clear in the context what John Adams meant. It definitely was not what Romney implied (ie the Constitution does not apply to atheists).

#18     Dec 14, 2007
  9. What do you think about this quote, how do you think atheists should interpret it:
    "Freedom requires religion just as religion requires freedom. Freedom opens the windows of the soul so that man can discover his most profound beliefs and commune with God. Freedom and religion endure together, or perish alone."

And how about the following quote:
    "It is as if they are intent on establishing a new religion in America – the religion of secularism. They are wrong. ".
    In other words secularism is a religion but unlike Mormonism, Christianity, Judaism etc it's a wrong religion.

You may also want to watch Keith Olbermann's analysis of the speech.
    http://atheistmedia.blogspot.com/2007/12/olbermann-analyzes-romneys-speech.html

PS personally I agree with him more than I agree with atheists on these issues as I want the US to remain a christian nation but I can certainly see how atheists are offended by his speech.

#19     Dec 14, 2007
  10. Organized religion is a divisive thing. It creates a sense of US and THEM not all that different from adolescent cliques, and is about as well founded.

For a civilized society to go back to religion is stupid, stupid, stupid. It's like going back to elephant pants (bell bottoms) and platform shoes. Surely we should have learned from the stupidity of our past.

#20     Dec 14, 2007