Are dual processor machines necessary ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by spreadem, Apr 13, 2003.

1. I am not claiming deity status just yet. But I will say that 17 years of hands on experience as well as numerous software projects that I have written code for give me at least a foundation to start from. Specifics regarding workload, configuration, utilization, etc., are all important.

But there are also some standard shortcuts and better efficiencies from new algorithms and techniques that might improve the processes. There might be a reordering of the processes that might lower the consistent horsepower requirements also. One needs not have been shot in the foot with a 45 to know that that just might hurt! But I could be mistaken. :)

#71     Apr 16, 2003

2. LOL. archangel shouldn't have a problem with this canyonman because he understands the value of hands-on experience.

In fact, just the other day he said to me:

"However, some of us have actual hands on experience. So all I can tell you is what is obvious from having done about 20 years of internals development on a spectrum of OSes and having designed and integrated dozens of very large scale, high performance systems over the years. Take it or leave it - your choice."

:p

#72     Apr 16, 2003
  3. With all this talk of dual and quad processor machines, can anyone tell me where I can get a liquid nitrogen cooled box that can carry 8 hyperthreaded 800mhz FSB P4s?

Thanks

I'm gunna crunch a million symbols!

#73     Apr 16, 2003
  4. Hmm:

http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/supergeek/story/0,24330,3336245,00.html

Maybe you should send them the request as an actual user of the final product. Maybe just maybe you are living on the bleeding edge of technology huh? Someone once said, be careful what you ask for... :)

#74     Apr 16, 2003
  5. CalTrader

CalTrader Guest

... Last liquid cooled one I used was owned by the US government and cost about 30 million dollars ...

I will stick with our cheap little aircooled computers in our computer laboratory ....

#75     Apr 17, 2003
  6. The only way that I can see needing a dual processor system is if a trader is using multiple realtime charts as well as multiple complex option analysis, realtime optimizations with stocks, bonds, futures, options as well as other derivatives, monitoring many symbols and monitoring many trading strategies, monte carlo simulations and risk and reward models … all at the same time.
    :confused:

#76     Apr 21, 2003

7. that's right....

#77     Apr 21, 2003
  8. http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/20030422/index.html

"The mood in our labs was thick with excitement - there was barely a week to perform detailed tests on a total of four platforms. AMD had sent in a server with Dual Opteron processors for testing with little time to spare before launch. And it quickly became clear who its rival would be: an Intel Dual Xeon, the 3 GHz version. This article describes the results from our duelling test systems."

#78     Apr 22, 2003
  9. 64 bits by AMD has the pontential do some real damage to Intel. Dual channel DRR 400, 800Mhz FSB, HT, blah, blah, blah in comparison to 64 (instead of 32) bits. (When software is properly recompiled or you are working with large datasets.)

#79     Apr 22, 2003
  10. intel had 64 bit chips before AMD. AMD is playing catch up and copy cat. Windows 2000 server and upcoming Windows 2003 are available in 64 bit versions.

#80     Apr 22, 2003