Are dual processor machines necessary ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by spreadem, Apr 13, 2003.

1. nitro

nitro

metoo...,

[Most of] these guys don't understand...

nito

#61     Apr 15, 2003
  2. Actually, the fastest Xenons are 3.06 gig w/ 533 Mhz FSBs. And the latest P4's have 512K of L2 cache, so the line between Xenon and P4 seems to blur more and more every day.

#62     Apr 15, 2003
  3. No clue ...

#63     Apr 15, 2003
  4. Yes, but I also heard several other things that would give me rise and understanding as to some of the issues there. I'd querry the setup of the hardware just a bit harder. :)

#64     Apr 16, 2003
  5. cvds16

cvds16

Nitro, I guess you wrote your own software for scanning, could you elaborate a bit on how you did this ? Isn't the problem with scanning options not also with what you put into your models ? (Vol, dividends, skew ...)

#65     Apr 16, 2003
  6. If the machine is running hard for that long, there are some software issues.

Normally the activity of the computer should correspond to the activity of the market. When the market is active and volatile your machine may get as high as 50 percent, not much more. But when the market is dull and listless your machine should be a lot lower than 50 percent.
    :cool:

#66     Apr 16, 2003
  7. Why buy a XEON instead of a P4???

CACHE.

Why buy a P4 instead of a Celeron ???

CACHE.

Megahertz can be deceptive.

#67     Apr 16, 2003
  8. Exactly! So a pegged resource usage exposes another flaw of some type. But there could also be many more. A slower spinning hard drive (5400rpm vs. 7200rpm vs. 10,000rpm) for example can cause a special lag of its own too! :)

#68     Apr 16, 2003
  9. A steady, high CPU usage doesn't necessarily mean there is a software problem (although it could of course). If a program is being fed data fast enough, then the CPU can maintain a constant level. So all this is speculation as we don't have access to the programs and source code he is using, etc.

#69     Apr 16, 2003
  10. Wow, you guys are amazing. To be able to offer such decisive expert conclusions without knowing anything about the specifics of the workload, configuration, detailed utilization stats, etc. is far better than most people could do :)

#70     Apr 16, 2003