Are Cramer's calls really no better than

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by Ricter, Jun 12, 2005.

1. Don't forget, it's up to you to know when to bail on any non-AA pick.

#31     Jun 15, 2005
  2. Take Bear Stearns (BSC:NYSE - commentary - research). The Street was totally wrong again about this company. The Street must be thinking this is the old Bear Stearns, levered to a couple of fixed-income guys sittin' around and trading.

Wrong! Bear's leapfrogged ahead of a lot of people in mergers and acquisitions, in prime brokerage and in mortgage-backed securities. It's the smartest equity shop around, and it has feasted off Morgan Stanley's (MWD:NYSE - commentary - research) very visible problems. Plus, I didn't see Bear paying $2 billion out on Enron or WorldCom. We don't have evidence of rogue players at that firm, because management there is on the phone, making calls, in your face; makes me believe that the ethical problems at the other firms couldn't happen at Bear. They are problems of supervision, and Bear never allowed a Jack Grubman to run an unsanctioned police force within a police force, like Brazil in 1937.

You shouldn't be able to buy this stock here, this low, but you can because of the market's slide.

Or how about Dean Foods (DF:NYSE - commentary - research)? You should never be able to buy a stock within a point of a major upside surprise, but it is being pulled down by market forces, too. You got a gift going there. It should be back at $43.

Or Boeing (BA:NYSE - commentary - research), which obviously is some sort of key to expiration because that feels like it would be at $65 without the gravitational pull of the market.

Or ConocoPhillips (COP:NYSE - commentary - research), which, given where oil futures are, should be up a deuce, not a fraction.

So, I would be taking care of the gifts that options expiration gives us on the stocks with news, and I would buy, and buy aggressively, some for a trade, but some for an investment.

#32     Jun 15, 2005