Are bank accounts really safe?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by MiniDowTrader, Sep 26, 2008.

1. Just like short term Treasury notes :D

#31     Sep 27, 2008
  2. sprstpd

sprstpd

It is already nuts yes, but has the chance to get even nuttier. It just seems like at least putting some of your cash in gold or silver is only prudent at this stage.

#32     Sep 27, 2008

3. :p

At least I'll rip out off up front. :D

#33     Sep 27, 2008
  4. IWT2008

IWT2008

My question is even though the accounts are FDIC insured I wonder how long it would talk to actually see your money.

Having to wait more than a few days could create HUGE problems for individuals and business.

Was there any delay for the people at Indymac???

#34     Sep 27, 2008
  5. Does anyone see this whole situations as a black swan? Maybe not in the sense of getting long and holding, but at least for a short term swing (call it a dark gray swan).

I think there are a lot of scare tactics being used, and this kind of stuff is common at market lows. We haven't even tested the lows of last wk (es), there are restrictions on shorting, etc.

As much as I don't like Neil Cavuto, he said earlier today (speaking to jack welsh) that the Fed's wkly lending has been increasing and jack's argument was that he spoke w/ 7 companies who claimed their orders have been down.

I'm no economist, and maybe the GOV needs to do something, but it sure smells fishy.

#35     Sep 27, 2008
  6. Yes - under 100k they are. FDIC works (so far) eventually this might change :)

#36     Sep 27, 2008