Are any traders profitable for 5+ years?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Stoks, Oct 7, 2011.

1. silk

silk

Yes. But i don't know of too many others. But i don't really know that many traders either. I'm completing my first 10 years of my money up prop trading. I've had 7 profitable years (6 of those 7 figure year) and 3 negative years. 2 of those obscenely negative. My down years came in years 6,7, and 10. Year 8 and 9 were 2 of my best years. I've traded about 500+ million shares.

I got smacked around pretty good this year mostly in a few blowups in Silver with dumb size on. Hoping the next decade of trading goes well. I'm interested in a true capital backed prop account to reach my full potential. Offers welcome.

#11     Oct 9, 2011
  2. gaj

gaj

1) 99% of trades are intraday. and a majority of those last one time frame of the day (morning, lunch doldrums, afternoon)
    2) no.
    3) no idea.
    4) when you don't have your normal edge - either because of the market or your psychological makeup - trade a lot less or don't trade at all. bankroll management is huge too.

#12     Oct 9, 2011
  3. 1. For three years daytrading only... now all are swing trades. My primary style isn't something which can be generalized and put in a word; but it relies heavily on relative strength.

2. Yes, amibroker; now shifting to R.

3. Around 70% are M.O.

4. Try to have a holistic view on trading- do not generalize and do not carry opinions.

Not yet rich enough to give more advice.

#13     Oct 9, 2011
  4. Profitable for the last 5 years

1. News and event-based
    2. Not in an automated way.
    3. 100% limit
    4. Try really hard to understand your edge in each situation and adjust your trade size accordingly.

#14     Oct 9, 2011
  5. 10+ yrs.

1. Intraday only. Mostly news related.

2. No.

3. 99.9%

4. Systems don't work. It's easier to spot trash than hidden value. Pay no attention to Macro stuff. Learn to spot patterns. Know what your trading- trading the same number of shares or risking the same $$ amount per trade doesn't work over time. Keep your account small. If you can't make AT LEAST 200-300K off a 100K acct your doing something wrong. And go home early- 90% of the
    money is made by 10am.

#15     Oct 9, 2011
  6. Not profitable for 5 years but I'm finally out of the sea of red, after a year of manual walk-forward optimization.

1. Swing, long options

2. No, mostly technical observation on a chart to get the concept down. Once I backtested on Seer, the idea was confirmed profitable.

3. All are market via stop or stop limit

4. CUT LOSSES

#16     Oct 9, 2011
  7. Bob111

Bob111

yes

#17     Oct 9, 2011
  8. And then you closed your Knish stand and moved to Boca Raton

#18     Oct 10, 2011