Are American kids getting dumber by the year?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by jbtrader23, Nov 21, 2002.

1. Then again, aren't we a consumer driven economy? In that case gangster rap culture could be a blessing in disguise, as it's the epitome of materialism. What's ironic is that type of gangster behavior is the least likely to lead one to material wealth. Maybe it's a good thing. Maybe it's good that our youth grow up thinking that a mansion with 50 cars and tons of jewelry is the highest form of existence. It's certainly better than the Islamic youth in Arabia thinking the highest form of existence is martyrdom. The former leads to pursuit of wealth which is good for capitalism.

And by the way, I completely agree that the purpose of public school is to make good subordinates. Look at the proliferation of "group activities." Often these are ridiculously inefficient and the material could be learned better by simply studying on one's own. But I think the true purpose is to train students to work well in groups so that they can be a good work force. Also look at the emphasis on sports. You're taught to take orders from your coach and disregard your personal success for the success of the team. That sounds like the sort of employee I'd like. You know, "Whatever's Good for the Company!" slogan.

#31     Nov 21, 2002
  2. ElCubano

ElCubano

What do you think keeps the economy going.....CONSUMERISM...and I agree its a huge problem....it's called AFFLUENZA

#32     Nov 21, 2002
  3. leave it to RS7 to try and twist a comment on public education into a debate on Iraq. If he can't win an argument he just changes the subject. He couldn't win the argument on Iraq either.

#33     Nov 21, 2002
  4. the problem with public education isn't funding, or those evil republicans ( sarcasm ), it is all of the bullshit that has nothing to do with education, and the lack of committment of parents. And yes they are getting dumber, which perhaps explains how some people could imagine that consumerism is the root cause of dropping test scores. Whoever believes that needs to take a course in logic.

#34     Nov 21, 2002
  5. rs7

rs7

Iraq? Who said anything about Iraq? Who even was arguing? All I said was that, in the world of Dotslash everything bad is a result of the "left wing"...just an observation on YOUR comment.

#35     Nov 21, 2002
  6. Josh_B

Josh_B

As just about everyone noted it has been going on for some time. This republican administration was not in effect when most of the students surveyed were still in school. Many of it's members were there previously though. Democrats were not that much better in this respect. The educational problem is a result of many deficiencies, some maybe intentional, and many that underline both parties.

But this is scary:

These surveys also show a cross section of who are the voters in our society. How many of them does anyone here think did any research before casting their ballot during last elections? How many researched the issues in the local community all the way to national level? And worst yet how many went back and checked to see how did the elected officials, they voted for last time, actually do during last term? Did those elected in office actually fought for their constituents, or was it all lip service just to get the position so that special interests behind the scenes are getting benefited and the public gets screwed again?

(Put up few commercials on TV ( the more $$$ you got the better), some mudslinging, throw in some scare tactics and all these ignorant voters go in and cast their thoughts.)

And these votes effect the policies of this nation, and we are the most powerful nation in the world and so these same votes greatly influence the whole world policy.

Makes one wonder who is worst.. the naive, ignorant sheep that vote for the wolves, or the wolves that skin them and eat them alive?

I just hope as a nation, we focus our efforts and resources in the right areas.

Josh

#36     Nov 21, 2002
  7. Cubano (que tal?), you've mentioned a few times the non-correlation of intelligence and a 'good life'. You are, no doubt, correct. I'm sure both you and I can think of countless examples of essentially skill-less immigrants that transformed their lives by their willingness to 'put their back into it'.

My personal sob about poor education results is the lack of awareness of the world we live in. Not knowing the population of the US (not even with 200million!) is not of 'life or death' importance, but it shows a remarkable ignorance of one's environment.

I'm sure that you, too, would like to see the world become a better place. Do you really think such a thing is going to be achieved by being ignorant?

As a recent high school graduate, I think I'm well qualified to state that the general attitude towards studying by the majority of students - and this is in one of Australia's more presitigious high schools - is one of 'test passing' and apathy to deeper understanding of subject material; fear of being a 'nerd' seems to rule all.

#37     Nov 22, 2002
  8. Babak

Babak

lol!! We've known about this all along.

There was a program called "Talking to Americans" where a comedian from CBC would go down and talk to Americans. He would invent the most whack stories about Canada or some other country and ask their opinions. They would always blurt out the funniest answers.

My favourite was when he went to Harvard campus and talked to a prof. Yup, he was no better. He was asked whether the seal slaughter should be stopped in Saskatchewan and he ofcourse vehemently agreed.

Thing is Saskatechewan is landlocked, flat and Canada's bread basket.

http://www.canoe.ca/TelevisionShowsT/talkingtoamericans.html

http://radio.cbc.ca/programs/thismorning/sites/a&e/mercer_010330.html

http://www.tvguidelive.com/netcetera/rick-mercer.html

#38     Nov 22, 2002
  9. Consumerism has gone into it's own "speculative bubble" in this country. Obviously, you need it to a certain extent, but when the square footage of retailers is growing at a much faster pace then either the population growth or income growth, you realize this growth can't last forever. Without the avalanche of cheap credit, refi's, etc.....the consumer bubble would have ended a long time ago.

Not to pick on just the rap culture, in some ways you could see it as a positive. At least they aren't rapping about becoming a martyer or something. But look at the message embedded in it. You can have this big house, 12 fly cars, some hot little honeys by your side,.....yet how will you afford all this without working hard, getting good grades, etc? For 99.9% of the people out there,...they aren't going to make a ton of loot as a rapper. So how can you afford it if you aren't smart?

#39     Nov 22, 2002
  10. Trajan

Trajan

um, yeah! Americans and, I guess, Aussies don't value education for altruistic purposes. Americans want to learn what they need to know to get the job done(or pass the test). This is too complicated to write about with drinks in my system.

#40     Nov 22, 2002