Are American kids getting dumber by the year?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by jbtrader23, Nov 21, 2002.

1. axehawk

axehawk

hmmm. Statistically, if only 25% of the kids got a 4 choice question correct, my suspicion would be that even fewer of the 25% actually knew the correct answer :eek: and the rest just guessed.

#11     Nov 21, 2002
  2. This data has been in the pipeline for years. This is not the first year that we've had this type of results. Critical thinking, thinking outside the box is an "Insurmountable Task" for many educated here in America. With all the abilities and resources available, we still find ways to lower the bar so more can pass the grade. Challenge the total populace for improvement? That type of pressure, expectation and cursing is not allowed! :)

#12     Nov 21, 2002
  3. vvv

vvv

that is so true and really applies to most situations in life, the lack of clearly defined objectives is a root cause for many a dead end one may find oneself in.

#13     Nov 21, 2002
  4. This is true. Another problem is the lack of a profit motive - nobody makes a buck if kids know geography or critical thinking, nobody has an incentive -- certainly the primary school teachers don't, and the politicians have little to gain from voters being better educated.

(There is money, however, in kids memorizing song lyrics and watching multiple hours of television commercials a day, hence the disparity in resources toward the latter)

I forgot where I read it, but there was a good quote regarding the fact that in 100 years we have gone from teaching Latin and Greek in the schools to having a president that can't even speak English. Sign of the times.

#14     Nov 21, 2002
  5. ElCubano

ElCubano

Who says you have to be smart to add value to the economy.......just something to think about....but I understand what ya saying.....hell there are plenty of smart broke folks ( not adding value to our economy,,,aphie is a great example..jk :D ) and then there are people making millions not because of knowledge but hard work building companies that add value to the economy......Look at the smart boyz from Anderson and Enron ( what did they add)......

#15     Nov 21, 2002
  6. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

It has been suggested that the unspoken mission of the public schools with the regimentation and grading and power structure is to train the young to fit into the corporate/governmental structure (following instructions, bowing to performance evaluations, yielding to authority, etc). This may be an unintended consequence due to the fact that those are the only structures with which teachers, administrators, parents, and legislators are familiar. But there it is all the same.

Clearly there is more to improving the situation than just buying a phonics kit.

--Db

#16     Nov 21, 2002
  7. rs7

rs7

Excellent points. Our education system is truly shameful. It is essentially an afterthought in most districts.

My first wife was a teacher. She loved what she did, and felt well rewarded by the results of her efforts. But certainly not by her compensation.

Just a month ago or so, I thought it might be a good idea to sign on as a substitute teacher. I have been trading less and less, and thought teaching would "give something back" to the community, as I am now semi-retired. I had taught out of college to avoid the draft, and found it fulfilling. So down to the school district I went. And guess what Palm Beach County pays substitute teachers? $9.95 an hour. No benefits. No schedule. No incentives. But still, you need to be qualified. Qualified??

My property taxes are high. They say because of the school budgets. The regular teachers don't make much. The kids are in temporary classroom trailers in almost every school in Palm Beach. Where is the money from my taxes going? My son's textbooks are all old and falling apart. And now they want to delete more money from the education system by channeling it to "school vouchers"? What a sad state of affairs. Oh yeah, Jeb Bush is governor. The "education president's" son, the "education governor". Some of you may know what the FCAT tests are. They are the standardized tests given in Florida to determine achievement level in math and english. My son scored in the top quintile in both. But I would venture to guess that he couldn't get 3 of the 20 questions right on the test in this thread. I hope I am wrong. I will ask him to do it when I see him later.

Peace,
    :)rs7

#17     Nov 21, 2002
  8. Part of the problem is our culture in America. Being smart isn't cool. Watching the news is "nerdy."

I'm in college right now, and I guarantee that if we went to war with Iraq, half of the student body wouldn't know until a week later. And even then they wouldn't understand why.

Not to be sexist, but it's even worse with girls. Most of the girls around here are completely oblivious to the world around them, save a distant keg party or sale at the mall.

Do a poll that notes sex of the respondant. The results should be truly horrifying, although the differences probably won't become notable until college.

It wouldn't matter if you changed the details of our education system. The problem is that kids and young adults don't WANT to learn. You can't teach people to be informed continually; they have to want that.

Granted, I'm not at Harvard, so maybe it's just my student body.
    Yep, it's probably just my crappy school...

#18     Nov 21, 2002
  9. rs7

rs7

Pleasantly surprised. He had just walked in...half day of school today. He missed only 2. He thought Islam was the religion with the most adherents, and he confused Sweden with either Norway or Finland (understandable). He guessed at the Euro, but at least showed common sense. Pretty good. I am encouraged and surprised!!!! Must be genetic:)

BTW...he is 17, a high school senior.

#19     Nov 21, 2002
  10. This goes back to my whole theory about the nature of capitalism. You need a majority of dumb people. The guy who owns the factory needs 200 workers to run it. These people have to come in every day and not question what they're doing.

#20     Nov 21, 2002