Are all price patterns the same? (examples)

Discussion in 'Trading' started by 1a2b3cppp, May 7, 2013.

1. pure price analysis can be sloppy. you need qualifiers to ensure the price was legit and not an outlier. look at volume, open interest, and, if possible, time of day for the price activity.

#31     May 8, 2013
  2. Redneck

Redneck

#32     May 8, 2013
  3. Seriously. These threads always end up full of platitudes.

As I posted on another forum:

#33     May 8, 2013
  4. So the close matters? Changing the timeframe would change the close. And the low represents valid price that price traded at so wouldn't a LL low be the same as a LL close?

#34     May 8, 2013
  5. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

Those threads did mention or had a common theme that most traders really don't want to acknowledge. You need to practice, practice and practice some more in real-time via a simulator. Then when you think you got it...trade small with real money again, again and again until you consistently profitable prior to any position size increases.

Charts are needed to illustrate the information and its your responsibility to be able to apply that information in real trading conditions.

Most can't do it and a few can. Lots of journals here at ET as proof that has the trader saying whatever method they're using backtest well or works well in simulator but results as losses when real money is applied.

That in itself should tell you its the trader that is the key component of a trading plan.

#35     May 8, 2013
  6. achilles28

achilles28

Close doesn't matter.....

Dude, you're inches away. That's why nobody will explain it to you.

In your other thread, myself and another guy provided all you need to go on.

Forest from the trees. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again. Using the tools you described, THINK DIFFERENTLY about the problem!

#36     May 9, 2013
  7. Here's a head and shoulders at the bottom.

Head and shoulders is usually a top pattern, and inverse head and shoulders appears at the bottom.

But it's really just a double bottom with a few highs in between.

The only way to make money is if you could identify any of those turning points. This is a pretty after the fact chart.

Green line = high of day
    Yellow line = opening range high
    Light Blue line = overnight high
    Dark Blue line = overnight low
    Orange line = opening range low
    Red line = low of day

[​IMG]

edit - I just realized it says "google.com" in the header of that chart. I thought I was in Firefox and hit "ctrl+t google.com" trying to open Google in a new tab and I wondered why it didn't work. Apparently I was still in my charting program and hitting ctrl+t lets you name the chart. Just a quick note so no one gets confused.

#37     May 9, 2013
  8. 1,

Here is what I mean by BS attitude. lol

#38     May 9, 2013
  9. achilles28

achilles28

Sour grapes :)

#39     May 9, 2013
  10. More like chinese fortune cookies full of shit :D

#40     May 9, 2013