Arctic Sea Ice Levels Hit Record Low

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Free Thinker, Sep 20, 2012.

1. "Skeptic arguments that Antarctica is gaining ice frequently hinge on an error of omission, namely ignoring the difference between land ice and sea ice.

One must also be careful how you interpret trends in Antarctic sea ice. Currently this ice is increasing and has been for years but is this the smoking gun against climate change? Not quite. Antarctic sea ice is gaining because of many different reasons but the most accepted recent explanations are listed below:

i) Ozone levels over Antarctica have dropped causing stratospheric cooling and increasing winds which lead to more areas of open water that can be frozen (Gillet 2003, Thompson 2002,Turner 2009).

and

ii) The Southern Ocean is freshening because of increased rain, glacial run-off and snowfall. This changes the composition of the different layers in the ocean there causing less mixing between warm and cold layers and thus less melted sea ice (Zhang 2007).

All the sea ice talk aside, it is quite clear that really when it comes to Antarctic ice, sea ice is not the most important thing to measure. In Antarctica, the most important ice mass is the land ice sitting on the West Antarctic Ice Sheet and the East Antarctic Ice Sheet.

Therefore, how is Antarctic Land-ice doing?

[​IMG]

http://www.skepticalscience.com/antarctica-gaining-ice.htm

The world's ice is melting, the Arctic, the Antarctic and,as a whole, the glaciers. World temps are at record highs. CO2, which is greenhouse gas, is 35% higher over the last two hundred years due to man's burning of fossil fuels. The oceans are becoming acidified and sea levels are rising.

The denier arguments are simply laughable at this point.

Do you know the CEO of EXXON believes in man-made GW?

Man-made GW deniers now may as well be holding signs proclaiming that they are idiots.

#11     Sep 21, 2012
  2. So this is the guy that wrote that Forbes article.....

James Taylor,

I am senior fellow for environment policy at the Heartland Institute and managing editor of Environment & Climate News. I write about energy and environment issues, frequently focusing on global warming.

I frequently spread disinformation and sow doubt about global warming because I am a tool. I am a tool of Big Coal and Oil. Plus since I'm a Republican I hate Al Gore and science so GW must be a hoax just like evolusion.

http://blogs.forbes.com/jamestaylor/

#12     Sep 21, 2012
  3. The natural state of the planet is to have at least one pole completely free of ice.

We've a lot of warming ahead of us just to get back to normal.

#13     Sep 21, 2012
  4. They are looking for funding, and fear sells! Nothing will happen to earth. Human life and its impacts are an epsilon for earth and the universe, but man thinks he is important probably because he has a hole in the bottom of his back, but does not realize it is stinky and dirty.

#14     Sep 21, 2012
  5. Normal? You base your science on your politics don't you? Are you carrying one of those signs?

#15     Sep 22, 2012

6. You're right. The world's ice is melting because they're looking for funding. Nothing will happen to the earth. Unless you count things like loss of a third of the species, the rising of sea levels by 80 feet, the collapse of the oceans due to acidification, droughts, floods, long lasting extreme hot and cold spells. Stuff like that. But yeah, the rock is going nowhere.

#16     Sep 22, 2012
  7. When I drive by a beach, it is the same as it used to be 10 years ago. It is just hype. In fact if there will be change, I think it would be on the good side.

#17     Sep 22, 2012
  8. Now you're just kidding with me.

#18     Sep 22, 2012
  9. Lucrum

Lucrum

Hottest record temps in the US.

Collegeville Indiana summer of 1936, 116 on July 14.

Illinois: The summer of 1954 brought extreme heat to Illinois, where the city of East Saint Louis saw the temperature rise to 117 degrees on July 14.

Montana: 117 degrees has been reached in the Treasure State twice: July 20, 1893 in Glendive, Mont.; and July 5, 1937 in Medicine Lake, Mont.

Utah: Its hottest temperature on record was set more recently -- 117 in St. George, Utah on July 5, 1985.

Idaho: July 28, 1934 in Orofino, Id.

Iowa: July 20, 1934 in Keokuk, Iowa.

Missouri: July 14, 1954 in two cities: Warsaw and Union, Mo.

Nebraska: July 15, 1934 in Geneva, Neb.; July 17, 1936 in Hartington, Neb.; and July 24, 1936 in Minden, Neb.

Washington: July 24, 1928 in Wahluke, Wash.; and August 5, 1961 at Ice Harbor Dam, Wash.

119 deg Oregon's recorded weather history -- on July 29, 1898 in the small town of Prineville

120 deg Arkansas: August 10, 1936 in Ozark, Ark.

120 deg Oklahoma: July 18, 1936 in Alva, Okla.; Aug. 10, 1936 in Poteau, Okla.; and twice at the Altus Irrigation Research Station in southwest Oklahoma -- on July 19, 1936 and Aug. 12, 1936.

120 deg South Dakota: July 5, 1936 in Gann Valley, S.D.; and July 15, 2006 in Fort Pierre, S.D.

121 deg

-- on July 18, 1936 in Fredonia, Kan., and July 24, 1936 in Alton, Kan.

July 1936 also brought extreme heat as far north as North Dakota, where the mercury reached 121 degrees on July 6 in Steele, N.D.

122 degrees was recorded June 27, 1994 in New Mexico's southeastern corner at the Waste Isolation Pilot Plant

Nevada's all-time high record temperature was recorded on June 29, 1994.

Arizona's hottest temperature on record was 128 degrees on June 29, 1994.

Death Valley 134 degrees on July 10, 1913

#19     Sep 23, 2012
  10. Whats your point Lucrum ?

#20     Sep 23, 2012