Architect want to work at Asset Management, Hedge Funds - What to do?!

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by santos, May 8, 2014.

1. santos

santos

Hey guys!

My name is Santos, i'm architect and i'm pretty good at thinking graphically, but i've not basis on finance just maths at the university.
    I really want to move my carreer to Finance and start to work on Asset management / Hedge Funds / Trading.

Do you guys know whats the best way to get in?!

2. Get a CFA and network your way in.

Don't listen to these clowns here trading from their basement.

3. santos

santos

I'm reading CFA L1 books and thinking to do the exam in decembre, but in other hand i would like to start working on the market at the same time, working for an enterprise that will give the real knowledge too, to make me practice...

4. What country are you in?

5. santos

santos

Luxembourg

6. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

You don't bring anything to the table and you come with baggage from your previous career. Why should they hire you over the thousands of engineers who are seeking the same jobs?

They have their pick of smart kids who are moldable (no experience to say "at my old place this is how I learned stuff").

You need to get an MBA. That will prove to them you are ready to start at the bottom and work your way up. It's your Do-Over card. You won't learn a lot. But it will reset the perception employers will have of you. Being an architect with an MBA will make you a unique candidate.

CFA can only be valuable once you are in the industry. And then it's value is less relevant than most people think.

7. I disagree.
    MBA is expensive and generalist. He can study for CFA while at his old job, still earning an income and then try to get his foot in the door. I know of several people who successfully made the transition after passing level 1,2 of the CFA. At least it should get you an interview. It doesn't matter whether it is relevant or not, all it matters is it gets you a meeting, then you sell yourself again.

8. santos

santos

<table id="post3975340" class="tborder" cellpadding="20" cellspacing="0" align="center" border="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr valign="top"><td class="alt1" id="td_post_3975340" style="border-right: 0px solid ">But @newwurldmn do u think that ( apart of being pretty more expensive) an MBA will give me better tools to work then a CFA?! I think i need to learn the "how to do" the tools, not only the networking...</td> </tr> <tr><td class="alt2" style="border: 0px solid ; border-top: 0px"> </td><td class="alt1" style="border: 0px solid ; border-left: 0px; border-top: 0px" align="right">
    </td></tr></tbody></table>

9. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

Okay. We agree to disagree. OP can make up his mind from here.

10. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

You will learn the How-To on the job. CFA 1 and 2 are Corporate Finance 101 in an MBA. CFA level 3 is Portfolio Management 101 in an MBA. Like most professions, schooling is different from practice.

You will learn a lot more with an MBA than a CFA.

You need access to recruiters (MBA schools are magnets for recruiters), the ability to explain why you want to switch, and demonstrate your intelligence and work ethic.

If you can do this without an MBA or a CFA then doing either isn't necessary.

#10     May 8, 2014