Arbitrarily testing stop strategies...

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by Corey, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Corey

Corey

That exactly the type of test I would like to run -- except that your entries are based on a system -- and therefore your mileage with stops may not be independent of the entries you take.

Hence, if I can create a random entry/exit system, with enough trials, I can smooth out the expected value.

I will be sure to post my results (if I ever get it done...)

#11     Mar 13, 2008
  2. I think you would want to run this test on entries from your specific strategy instead of random entries. The reason you take trades from a system is that you believe the market is different after your entry signal than at other times - you think the expected return is higher than normal when your strategy says to go long for example. If the expected return is different than normal, then there is a good chance that some of the other return distribution characteristics that affect the stop performance (volatility, skew, autocorrelation, etc) will be different too.

#12     Mar 14, 2008
  3. MGJ

MGJ

Here are twenty five such plots, at progressively greater magnification. Convergence is slow: a million hands gets you two, but not three, digits of accuracy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#13     Mar 14, 2008