Arbitrage type strategies.

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by wastrading, Jun 18, 2005.

1. Sounds like Swifttrade and their Arbitrage "strategy" hit up an ecn on the ask and bid up to another ECN punch out for your rebate.

Thats a strategy my friends - snickers -

#11     Jun 18, 2005
  2. I was thinking of longer term merger or convertible types strategies as a way of parking capital while
    I trade off margin.

#12     Jun 18, 2005
  3. Shorting spooz the instant oil futures make a big runup.

#13     Jun 18, 2005
  4. yeah i worked at this ATS firm before.
    they have around 6 mill of capital and absolute leverage ratio of 100:1. day in and day out doing ETFs. they get new equipments every 3~4 months. but what they do is virtually riskless.
    so for retail guys, we can only assume some risk.

#14     Jun 19, 2005
  5. #15     Jun 19, 2005
  6. Now thats an understatement !

#16     Jun 19, 2005
  7. > Now thats an understatement !

You mean it's not simlified enough? :D

#17     Jun 19, 2005
  8. No, and stop flattering yourself. If that was the case, that would be an overstatement. :p
    I guess the correct term to describe that, ahem..., strategy would be "practically useless".

#18     Jun 19, 2005
  9. Well, this is just a simplified example that shows how to do basic ATS development with QuantStudio / QuantDeveloper, nothing more, nothing less. The strategy itself works fine and a lot of riskless profits have been earned this way, also with ADR/GDR arbitrage (especially if you sit on BONY/Bloomberg ADR order book :) )

You are right saying that the implementation is far from being perfect (and somewhat useful). The code should be enhanced to

- better manage order states (rejected orders, etc)
    - use limit orders to fix arbitrage spread
    - use market depth to evaluiate arbitrage volume (though my experience suggests that already the second best bid/ask is rarely tradable in this type of arb).

We actually traded equity/ADR arb a three four years ago and it was 1-3K per day per trader seat per (cross) market (taking into account you use bank infrastructure, depositary and lending).

Cheers,
    Anton

#19     Jun 19, 2005
  10. What's making you that 1-3k per seat / per trader, (with one eye closed) this very day?

#20     Jun 20, 2005