Arbitrage Strategy

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by Hammy27, Dec 15, 2011.

1. +1

I would add that a lot of high frequency stat arb is reliant on bid/ask spread capture to maintain an edge, with the other leg(s) serving as little more than a liquid dirty hedge. (Spread capture probably trumping the mean reversion aspect on shorter timeframes).

Quote a price on anything, so long as the spread is wide, and there's a pseudo-replication to lay off onto.

I like to think of it as generalized market making, with balls.

#41     Jan 1, 2012
  2. bone

bone

Yep, that's another way to do it and to think about it. Point is, with the more prominent firms nobody wants to take "flat price directional risk" if they can help it - which means some sort of arbitrage or spread or some flavor of relative value strategy ( hedged or unhedged ). The combinations and permutations are are almost limitless - creative souls do really well in this environment. And making markets to capture the bid-ask spread based upon the sizing and price of your analog hedge is definitely a very good strategy.

#42     Jan 2, 2012
  3. Do explain why.

Wide sounds arbitrary. How is that determined ? 1 or 2 sigmas from a normal spread ? Also, what is pseudo-replication exactly in this context ?

#43     Jan 2, 2012
  4. Deterministic arbitrage does not exist....at least not in the book of investment / trading terms:
    http://www.investopedia.com/search/default.aspx?q=arbitrage#axzz1iKeTln50
    stat arbitrage
    conversion arbitrage
    currency arbitrage
    merger arbitrage
    regulatory arbitrage
    fixed income arbitrage

#44     Jan 2, 2012
  5. Lornz

Lornz

#45     Jan 2, 2012
  6. bone

bone

Gents, you will not find the most currently exploitable arbitrage strategies in a text book or through an internet search. What correlated and worked a few months ago ( or weeks or days for that matter ) might be completely irrelevant these days.

There exists legions of quants who are employed to do nothing else but to ferret out these opportunities.

I have never found an exploitable arbitrage edge or idea in a trading book. Seriously.

#46     Jan 2, 2012
  7. Lornz

Lornz

I don't know if you're referring to me or not, but I was simply pointing out that "statistical arbitrage" and "deterministic arbitrage" are specific terms in finance. There seemed to be a lot of confusion in this thread.

I have no interest in discussing edges.... Why would I want to do that?

#47     Jan 2, 2012
  8. Sorry guys, my bad: WikiVest had it all along...

#48     Jan 2, 2012
  9. Agreed .. but there can be a fair bit of "arithmetic" involved in selecting and pricing off an analogue(s).

#49     Jan 2, 2012
  10. bone

bone

That's where all the fun is.

#50     Jan 2, 2012