Arbitrage option trading does it really exsist?

Discussion in 'Options' started by Foxtrader, Jul 31, 2019.

1. I have been trading for while and I have read about Arbitrage but I am just wondering if anyone has actually done an Arbitrage option trade?

2. ETJ

ETJ

Cryptic and short answer, but yes. Mostly related to "mispriced" volatility in equity options and it ain't retail - you need to be fairly quick and have some real $$.
    Arb. vol. products themselves - mostly trading the term structure and again quick and $$.
    Not options directly, but convert arb. still has decent following - most arising from the lack of transparency in the market.
    Another huge arb. done mostly here in Chicago and not options directly is CME futures and a bit of their options against the correlated ETFs. Getting more crowded all the time, because there is still decent $$ in it.
    Mostly as things have become more multiply listed and electronic - the opportunities have become fewer.
    Merger arb. still has a following, but too much risk for many.
    Plus it doesn't always work - things that get out of whack can stay out of whack for a long time.
    Probably more, but these are the ones we focus on.

zdreg, Foxtrader and tommcginnis like this.
  3. Wheezooo

Wheezooo

I guess 3 days before expry when someone sells a deep in the money 100 delta call under intrinsic and you immediately hedge with the underlying (and lift the otm at cab). That, along with conversion/reversals are about as pure arb as you can get. Maybe div arbs as well but that's more than I feel like writing about. But all these above gifts were always in tiny volumes.

I think the limited potential for doing pure arbs created an environment where the word became liberalized to represent a lot of trading that involves constant spreading for purposes of capturing gains and mitigating risk. That describes options trading pretty well, so I have always thought of it as "soft arb" trading.

Now call yourself a derivative trader when you are trading a linear product, and I'll laugh in your face.

Foxtrader and tommcginnis like this.
  4. I'm a derivative trader but I always trade linear products. Does anyone have any helpful advice for me?

ironchef likes this.
  5. ironchef

ironchef

Here is @Wheezooo's advice for you:
    :D:D:D:cool::cool::cool:

athlonmank8 likes this.
  6. lol

7. The more you study options prices the more you notice a small bargain here or there, but you have to have the capital to take advantage of it. There may even be a certain scanner that looks for arbitrage for you.

Foxtrader likes this.
  8. destriero

destriero

Arbs in boxes in single-name are pretty frequent; rolls as well. Discount arb is a living if you have the patience to babysit a dozen tickers and constantly cancel/change inside NBBO.

yc47ib and Foxtrader like this.
  9. What do you mean by Discount arb? How is that different from just a regular box arb? And what is NBBO?

10. EvanDM

EvanDM

What is discount arb?

#10     Aug 1, 2019