"Arbitrage" Movie

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Maverick74, Sep 6, 2012.

1. Maverick74

Maverick74

I thought "A Perfect Murder" was much better. Better ending too. I just don't understand why they made this film since it was so similar to that film. I mean I realize every plot twist has been played out over the last 100 years, but they could have done something different with this.

If you haven't seen "Margin Call", it's a much better flick and a much better ending. Great cast too.

#31     Sep 17, 2012

2. It was funny for me to read that.

#32     Oct 2, 2012
  3. why?

#33     Oct 2, 2012
  4. i just saw it too. the ending was dopey. agreed, although i enjoyed the daughter role in it.
    as a trader u gotta see the trading movies even if some of the actors are commies..ie: gere

#34     Oct 2, 2012
  5. Saw it last night.

Wow, I expected a bit more discussion on the mechanics of the merger in the movie from the financially savvy posters on EliteTrader. Oh well.

A lot of reviewers are hung up on the $400M "hole" in the accounts. The question coming down to who pays back his friend (who was financing the variation margin call):
    a) Gere's character, from his share of the $525M proceeds from the sale; OR
    b) the new owner.

I go with the new owner: it's simply a financing issue and the cash is sitting there in escrow anyway as collateral for the forward copper sale hedges: they pay the friend back. Gere's fraud was in the internal accounting boosting reported trading profits to explain where the $400m originated from, to keep his friend's involvement hidden from his partners.

Yes, the Russian copper mine might be a lemon, but there was no $400M hole as such.

#35     Jan 12, 2013
  6. lwlee

lwlee

Meh, got it off torrent. Movie just seemed more a psychological play off Gere's girlfriend, daughter and wife. The trading drama was pretty tame and in the background. I wouldn't recommend it as a "trading" movie i.e. in the same vein as Trading Places, Wall Street, Margin Call or even Boiler Room.

#36     Jan 12, 2013
  7. hajimow

hajimow

I watched it a while ago and I liked it a lot. It is not a wow movie but it is entertaining specially with Richard gere. It is not all about trading. It is a drama , about family issues, loyality, personality and conflict of interests.

#37     Jan 13, 2013
  8. Was that supposed to be an "homage" to Bank of America buying out Merrill Lynch in 2008 and discovering gigantic losses and not reneging on the original deal? :confused: :eek: :cool:

#38     Jan 13, 2013
  9. what a load of fart!

#39     Jan 13, 2013