Arab leaders say they have lost confidence in Obama, turn to China,India to lead.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Grandluxe, Mar 19, 2011.

1. The Obama administration and its support for democratic change in the Middle East has been on a collision course with Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates and other traditional monarchies of the Persian Gulf.

U.S. officials have been arguing that Bahrain’s Sunni monarchy must make political compromises to give more power to the Shiite majority there.

This American enthusiasm for change has been anathema to the conservative regimes of the Gulf, and on Monday they backed Bahrain’s ruling Khalifa family with military force, marching about 2,000 troops up the causeway that links Bahrain to Saudi Arabia. A senior Saudi official told me the intervention was needed to protect Bahrain’s financial district and other key facilities from violent demonstrations. He warned that radical, Iranian-backed leaders were becoming more active in the protests.

“We don’t want Iran 14 miles off our coast, and that’s not going to happen,” said the Saudi official

“There is a serious breach” between the Gulf countries and Washington over the issue, warned a second Saudi official.

The Gulf regimes have come to mistrust Obama, seeing him as a weak president who will sacrifice traditional allies in his eagerness to be “on the right side of history.”

According to notes made during the conversation, the UAE official said: “We and the Saudis will not accept a Shiite government in Bahrain. And if your president says to the Khalifas what he said to Mubarak [to leave office], it will cause a break in our relationship with the U.S.” The UAE official warned that Gulf nations were “looking East” — to China, India and Turkey — for alternative security assistance.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/high-stakes-over-bahrain/2011/03/15/AB7ykyZ_story.html

Do you agree with Obama's new foreign policy change?

2. <iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/OY-_JsNrxiM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

3. pspr

pspr

I don't think Obama's problem will be that he did do something or that he didn't do something. The problem is that he says one thing and does another.

He said weeks ago that Gaddafi must leave then didn't do anything to help push him out and is only acting at the last minute which may be too late.

Now, on TV he boxed himself in by saying we will do no more than support a no-fly zone and letting aids slip that he wants this over in days, not weeks. I'd like to know how he is going to pull that off.

And, he hasn't even consulted with Congress let alone get a resolution favoring his actions. Even Democrat Senators are screaming about it.

I don't think he has a clear idea of what he is doing and is just shooting from the hip. It's ridiculous and dangerous. We'll have to see how this one ends.

4. The Gulf regimes have come to mistrust Obama, seeing him as a weak president who will sacrifice traditional allies in his eagerness to be “on the right side of history.”

----------------------

Hmnnn.. reads like a page out of "Tribes for Dummies".

Obama prolly has some ME blood in him to act like that, ya think?

5. Lucrum

Lucrum

Well aren't they a little slow on the uptake, I never had any confidence in him to begin with.

6. A state cannot productively govern more than 2 million citizens.
    Time to decentralize World into Cantons as in Switzerland http://goo.gl/A8F6 for better governance.