Apple tablet hype

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ChkitOut, Jan 27, 2010.

1. Hey Thanks!

#21     Jan 27, 2010
  2. phu780

phu780

I was hoping for an "ink and paper" screen similar to the Kindle but with colors. Turns out it's just a giant iPod Touch. I just don't see people reading books on its standard LED-backlit screen if they're not already reading books on their laptops. The screen will most likely tire the eyes out the same way.

The iPad runs the same OS that runs iPod and iPhone right? I like how they boast 140,000 "apps". How many "apps" are available for the various Windows OS's or even a full Mac OS X?

Given that this is a large iPad or a small, limited laptop, it became comical to see Steve Jobs demonstrate how to use it. "Here's a website... You can scroll down... Or up." Show me that again, Steve. I didn't quite catch it the first time!

#22     Jan 28, 2010
  3. I have to agree, BUT....

...finally someone demonstrates a tablet that does not cost an arm and a leg and has a decent hardware setup for a tablet, including LED backlight.

Now hopefully others (in the MS / open operating system area - i.e. computers which you can install your own OS On) will start adjusting their offering.

The best I could currently hope for is a Dell XT2 convertible (i.e. tablet + keyboard). Add LED backlight and it costs basically ridiculous procing. I hope that comes down and Apple produces some push.

Same as happened with the IPhone - now that the IPhone is out, Windows Mobile base phones suddenly look better in hardware and have better software ;) Competition is great.

That said, you are right - the demonstration was kind of "nothing new here". It is funny to see how people go bonkers on that.

#23     Jan 28, 2010
  4. bighog

bighog Guest

5. S2007S

S2007S

Hype Hype and even more Hype.

Come on, all this is is a bigger Iphone, they make it sound like this is going to change the industry, how many devices does on person need to have. Tablets have been out for years without very much success, what makes this any different. So you can browse the internet, listen to music, watch video, and read books, please show me how this anything great at the moment. The media has hyped this tablet to no end, its not what everyone makes it out to be.

#25     Jan 28, 2010