Apple IPhone - Would you buy it?

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by thehangingman, Jan 10, 2007.

Would you buy the Apple Iphone?

1. Yes

52 vote(s)
    38.2%
  2. No

84 vote(s)
    61.8%
  1. No. Apple has a history of marketing their products well, it basically blinds all the Apple fanbois out there, and honestly, until the price drops on the iPhone, I would even consider it. Being locked into a particular service provider is ridiculous, and a phone that costs $600? No thanks.

I just bought a cell phone about two weeks ago. It cost me $30 (I asked them to kindly remove the mail-in rebate), I get an unlock code after 90 days, so I can use it on any GSM network, and it has bluetooth built in. I'm sure other people want more functionality, but there are plenty of mobile pocket PC's that cost half of the iPhone's price tag.

#41     Jan 21, 2007
  2. not to mention, after you hand over the 600 dollars, like all other phones, the services they come with are not free..its f---ing bullshit. "Yeah, your phone has internet, txt messaging, cool ring tones....but that cost extra! haha!! " f---ers :mad:

#42     Jan 21, 2007
  3. I don't mind paying for a service. I mind paying hundreds of dollars for services that cost the providers a matter of pennies. That's why I don't have a cell phone contract ... pre-paid minutes :) .. and I force myself not to use it much either.

EDIT: Did it ever occur to you why CEOs get hundreds of millions as a fucking bonus? It's because companies charge ridiculous prices for things that don't really cost that much. The average, stupid (yes, I said stupid), American doesn't give a shit where their money goes as long as they have a cellphone that they can talk endlessly on, send millions of text messages per day, and other such conveniences. If I had all the conveniences of the average American, I would not have the money to save and trade. Later on, however, once I am more well-established, I shall have their conveniences ... and many, many more! :D

#43     Jan 21, 2007
  4. wickcity

wickcity

Relax guys. The price will come down. Its been reported on different websites that the approx. cost to produce this phone is about 245 dollars.

#44     Jan 21, 2007
  5. Singer

Singer

There's no way in hell I'd buy this overpriced piece of crap.

Problem 1: touch screen. It's tactile, yeah, but it's vision-dependent. You have to be able to see the screen in order to use it. No under-the-table text messages at meetings or other places where discretion is required.

Problem 2: Battery life. It's got two batteries, I think, but from the product spec page, the thing has UP TO 5 hours talk/video/browsing time and 16 hours audio playback. So you're either chained to a charger at some point 5 hours or less into the day... or you're carrying around a brick of a phone, the size of a mid-1990's cell phone.
    http://www.apple.com/iphone/technology/specs.html

Problem 3: It's closed-source. You can't open it to replace the batteries yourself... you gotta ship it back to Apple which creates downtime and expense. It's locked to Cingular and apparently it can't be unlocked no matter what-- you aren't free to choose your provider. You can't put memory expansion in it, which means it can't run open-source software, among other things. You're locked in to exactly what Apple wants, and if Apple chooses to further restrict the few things you can do with this $600 albatross, your only choice is to love it or leave it.
    http://www.boingboing.net/2007/01/14/iphone_the_roach_mot.html

This said, it's a beautiful-looking piece of technology, which I'm sure will please those of us lame-ass status-chasing North Americans . But for all its flash it doesn't and won't ever have 1/10 the functionality of any open-platform phone like they've been using in Asia for years.

#45     Jan 21, 2007
  6. I think you are a fanboy, you just may a bit slow to realize it. Does not matter, it's not like I automatically turned the cheek on the I-pod, I was quite interested in buying one when it first came out and about a year ago. I did my own research, in real life, by asking people every chance I got about their experience with their I-pod. You know, field research.

You do not know what you are talking about. No it has never been done before, that's why Nintendo is getting the awards. It's obvious you know nothing of the console industry, but it's not like there are not articles on the matter that any joe shmoe can understand. Of course, at the same time, you could not even figure out the innovation of DVD over VHS. Still struggling on the digital vs analog concept?

Apple hasn't produced anything like that besides the Apple computer and Macintosh decades ago. I-pod was nothing new and neither is I-phone. I was using MP3 players and Minidisc players before you probably even knew what a MP3 file was. I-pod is another MP3 player, even your previous post notes that, you're just too dense to see the irony.
    Of course some people require pretty commercials & image to conform to, maybe that's where you find the innovation. You must think you can actually dance when you put the Ipod on, just like the silhouettes in the commercials.

That just about sums up your simpleton consumerist ideology, common of USA. No wonder this country has a negative savings rate, no discipline and weak minds. If I felt the I-phone was worth $1000, I would have one on pre-order already. If I ever agreed with the prices charged for the I-pod, considering its workmanship, I would have one.
    People like you will never understand that it is the principle of the matter, not whether you can afford it or not. Most buyers of I-pods could not actually afford them, they just charged it. People like me will walk an extra block to buy a blunt just because the convienience store clerk tries to overcharge me by a quarter. Has nothing to do with saving a quarter, it's a matter of who deserves my business and is not trying to rip me off.

You could never afford me and I do not accept credit cards.

We don't need to keep this going, I think I was in total agreement about the most relevant part of your initial post. I-phone can get 10% market share in 2008, if not more. I point to you as to the reason why.

#46     Jan 21, 2007
  7. Maverick74

Maverick74

What do you guys think about the Blackjack smart phone? It's pretty slick. Not as nice as the I-Phone but for some of you guys complaining about cost, the Blackjack seems like a decent alternative no?

#47     Jan 21, 2007
  8. S2007S

S2007S

you have have the Q, Blackjack, and DASH.

All similar devices.

Rumor has it that google has some sort of phone in the works, dont how true it is, I would think its about 5% true.

#48     Jan 22, 2007
  9. I posted my thoughts earlier.

The Blackjack is better than the iPhone, IMO.

#49     Jan 22, 2007
  10. Maverick74

Maverick74

What makes you say this?

#50     Jan 22, 2007