Apple IPhone - Would you buy it?

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by thehangingman, Jan 10, 2007.

Would you buy the Apple Iphone?

1. Yes

52 vote(s)
    38.2%
  2. No

84 vote(s)
    61.8%
  1. hydro. thanks for response. even though it was littered with personal attacks rather than actual convincing arguments.

poor workmanship of iproducts? i am not an apple fanboy by and measure of the word, i'll never give up windows / my pc for a mac system. but i have no clue where you get this poor workmanship idea from. iv had my ipod (the only apple product i own) for years now, and iv put it through hell and back. and it still runs like the first day I opened the box. its been dropped, kicked, spilt on, taken to the tropics, used in freezing weather etc. i not only use it for music but now i can use it as a 20g dump drive for my digital camera. it also works like a dream compared to mp3s players I had bought before. if that isn't great workmanship. i dont know what is.

you say the wii is revolutionary because the way you control it... really... a new method of controlling... a breakthrough.... wow... iv never heard of anything like that :p and surely not in my last few posts.. and surely apple has never produced anything like that in the past, and obviously that wasn't one of my key points why this product has an edge over products offering similar services, similar to wii's edge, if i was trying to make that argument.

i think you completely misunderstood my commentary on this subject. i am by no mean saying this product is for everybody. if you cant afford one. dont buy one. obviously. same with the latest palm devices with similar prices. they arnt for everybody, especially for people who cant afford it / wont use it. again.. obviously..

i am also not saying that it offers apps that you cant find on a handful of other devices in north america and around the world. my point was this fact doesn't mean the product isn't brilliant, or is a fad.

my opinion has nothing to do with apple's marketing program. its based on years of use on their products, an education and background in related fields. its funny how on a trading forum you'll find people bad mouthing the product without trying it. and if you read a discussion on a site like /. , between people who understand the technology from a user's AND developer's level, they are all very positive and excited about the possibility of having access to this _new_ technology. and regardless of what people say, this is brand new tech. nothing comprable to it in the world. just like nothing compares to the wii right now.

no need for you to personally reply to this post. i don't find someone who does not know me calling me dim witted or ignorant a convincing argument when discussing the pros or cons of a new product.

btw hydro. if you would like a job as a gopher, pm me, i can pay you enough to afford an iphone, that way everybody is happy :D

#31     Jan 18, 2007
  2. Tums

Tums

3. People like 'QWERTY' keyboards. I never knew the iPhone had one.

Given that fact, I now believe the iPhone has a decent chance.

I would still take a Blackjack over it though.

#33     Jan 19, 2007
  4. Pekelo

Pekelo

#34     Jan 19, 2007
  5. Pekelo

Pekelo

The profitmargin is 100%+ on Apple's toy. The cost is $245 and the retail is $500 for the 4Gig...

#35     Jan 19, 2007
  6. The Iphone is a cool piece of hardware.... But I don't like the software too much. They should have two software for the phone. The current one with the ipod and photos apps and a business version; more powerful email, gps, internet, Ms office, apps . just my opinion.

#36     Jan 21, 2007
  7. Anyone know why Apple would choose cingular as the provider? It's v clear they're second rate -- that's the part i don't get.

#37     Jan 21, 2007
  8. Probably cuz RIMM already has deals with Verizon for their black berry.

#38     Jan 21, 2007
  9. I agree with most of what you said in the post from which this is taken, but I have to disagree with this. I don't think it was luck at all. I think it was a combo of product development, target assessment and marketing.

Other points:

1. Someone mentioned that iPhone will not cost the majority of users $600, as it will be bundled. I would pay $150 for it if the provider was reliable.

2. Someone else mentioned the cool factor among young adults. This is being discounted by those who wonder whether iPod will be popular. I don't discount the cool factor at all.

3. A cell phone has become indispensable for me. The iPod has become the most convenient way for me to manage my music needs... and increasingly, this includes my home needs, not only mobile.

4. I have often thought, especially while driving around/shopping, that I could use an internet connection to look something up.

Bottom line, I think it's odd that people would doubt the viability of an all-in-one unit that includes at least two things that have proved wildly popular (iPod and cellphone) and another thing that could easily become just as popular (full webpage viewing in a mobile unit) and email to boot. Some might say that they buy the concept but doubt Apple's ability to lead the market... but that would be trading counter trend, wouldn't it?

#39     Jan 21, 2007
  10. wickcity

wickcity

Going with Cingular was no surprise. Apple had selected Cingular awhile back with the Rokr phone with Itunes.

I would bet that GSM had something to do with it as well.

#40     Jan 21, 2007