APPLE IPHONE cost $599

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by capmac, Jan 9, 2007.

1. I was with verizon, but I was paying 50 bucks a month, but I was only using half of the minutes I had available. I thought I could save money by going to cingular and getting a pre-paid plan that I can cancel at any time. I get free weekends and I think after 9:00 its free too.

#21     Jan 9, 2007
  2. blast19

blast19

Hey you guys...this has nothing to do with individual plans or carriers as no single one dominates. Cingular is much bigger on the west apparently than the east...I'm from the west coast and recently moved to NY and it's not nearly as big as Verizon here.

Anyway...this isn't about that...it's about how stupid it is to have a single exclusive distributor of the product. I don't think Apple is going to essentially make Cingular the cell king because they're making an overpriced cell phone for them exclusively.

That was a terribly silly move by Apple in my opinion.

In six months innovation will have kicked up a notch and by year's end there will be a ton of newly released or planned mp3/cell phone/gizmo devices that work on all the carriers.

The Razrs were a hot commodity...if they had only been with one provider I'm not sure that would have made that one provider king of the field...and I don't necessarily think Apple has some magic power...I think their marketing is smart but it's pase at this point...I'd actually not buy an Ipod because now it's the wannabe geeks who've made it famous, not its functionality.

I've spent plenty of time using Apple products and while they work well enough, their function isn't some revelation.

Good luck to those that are trading it because no doubt there's money to be made and I'm kicking myself for not having bought some Calls last week when I knew MacWorld was coming up, but long term I don't think Apple will ever be what some people like to believe it will be...will probably never dominate another field as profitable or vast as the Ipod has done for them and their domination will peter out in the next 1-3 years.

#22     Jan 9, 2007
  3. Here is the perfect example. You were not willing to pay 50 a month for your phone so you went pre paid and get free nights and weekends. So I don’t see the money conservative shopper putting down 600 on a phone. Its really just a fashion statement in the end. Most East Coast Cingular phone owners are more interested in price then quality.

#23     Jan 9, 2007