Apple iPad

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nitro, Jan 27, 2010.

1. Bought a 3G iPad today. I'll keep the forum posted on how I like it. It is going to be a laptop and Kindle replacement for me.

#51     Jun 1, 2010
  2. Didn't think I'd want one but my Mom sure did, so I grabbed one for her. Been playing with it for the past 3 days. In a word - wow. 'Slick' is the only word I can use to describe it. The interface is just so cool, and it's a very nice way to consume different types of media. The image quality is outstanding with the IPS screen. Battery life is amazing.

Wi-Fi connectivity is all right although with the 3G version, you have to put a SIM card in it to get it to work, and then it sometimes gets confused about whether you're asking it to use 3G or Wi-Fi.

I still hate the fact that I can't surf the web on it . Yes, yes, I know, this is a slight overstatement, but that's how I feel about it. There's plenty of streaming content that I want to see but can't access with this device. I'm waiting for a Linux (Meego?) based tablet, but something tells me it won't be as slick as this thing.

Anyone who argues that the iPad isn't a strong indicator of where personal computing is going hasn't played with one.

#52     Jun 1, 2010
  3. nitro

nitro

This is cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkG3AGtgnco

I just realized that a very cool feature of these portable devices would be the capacity to have a built in projector so that I can use my iPad as a chess (or any other subject) demonstration board on any white wall. If I could dream, I would wish for a built in holographic projector that would display in mid air 3D images. Imagine what that would do for molecular sciences.

That would be super cool and could revolutionize education.

#53     Jun 2, 2010
  4. nitro

nitro

I am waiting for the mat screen version and then I will probably take the plunge.

#54     Jun 2, 2010
  5. I was thinking more along the lines of Katherine Heigl.

#55     Jun 2, 2010
  6. Luto

Luto

#56     Jun 21, 2010
  7. DannoXYZ

DannoXYZ

I used to try trading from my Blackberry then moved to iPhone for the larger screen. Neither platform had any decent software and neither does the iPad from what I can gather at the moment. However, I do use the iPad for remote-access to my regular trading desktop via VNC. Pretty convenient to sit out in the garden or at the beach and get to my system. I do have to flip through multiple screens one at a time though. But still much, much more useful than the BB or iPhone.

#57     Jun 29, 2010
  8. nitro

nitro

I am at an AAPL store waiting to go see "The Expendables" (sometimes a guy just wants to see stuff blow up) and it is amazing - wall to wall people. An older couple just sat next to me with a new iPad. These products appeal to the entire population. To round it off, AAPL is not a flimsy employer, there is an army of employees wearing blue t-shirts insanely dedicated to helping customers.

It is funny, all these books get written about business this, business that. Just copy AAPL and forget the rest.

#58     Aug 21, 2010
  9. Apple really know about their niche market. They focus on and serve peoples who are "computer-illiterate" which are pretty much most people with the exception of business and computer peoples. They also brand themselves to be a cool company, which is an excellent marketing strategy that indirectly make the PC users "uncool".

Apple also applied some good management/HR techniques in managing their staffs, making them "want to work" instead of "have to work".

So far, I don't see any competitors for Apple in this niche market. Apple is the only one producing these entertainment devices, and I don't see any other company producing anything similar.

PA

#59     Aug 21, 2010
  10. You must be an old geyser. There are plenty of chicks better looking the Katherine Heigl. [​IMG]

#60     Aug 22, 2010