Apple iPad

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nitro, Jan 27, 2010.

1. nitro

nitro

2. #22     Jan 29, 2010
  3. Let's get one thing straight - the iPad isn't a computer. If you can only run one app on it, it isn't a personal computer as I understand the term.

No multitasking, no Flash, no USB input, no SD card reader, 3G an expensive option, no camera to leverage AR and gaming (and guess why??). It's not a computer. It's another sort of tech device, and a pretty cool glimpse into the future.

For AAPL, this is all about mobile content delivery. Their acquisition of that mobile ad company a while back makes perfect sense now that we've seen how restricted this unit is. Jobs wants to give the Kindle a run for its money and he's going to do just that. As someone said, the Kindle looks like a piece of crap. Jobs knows sexy, and the iPad is pretty sexy looking.

Having said all that, I'll be getting one for my Mom on the day it comes out, because it's exactly what she needs to have sitting on her coffee table as she reads or watches TV. All she needs to do on a 'computer' is read things, email and browse the internet
    Have to agree to disagree with this one. It's not technology that takes us away from our 'true nature'. It's laziness that prevents people from becoming all that they could be. I love technology.

#23     Jan 29, 2010
  4. jd7419

jd7419

I bought the kindle for one thing. It delivers books to me in seconds in the exact print type of a real book. What am I going to do with an ipad that I cant do better with a much more powerful and cheaper notebook computer. Sure the aapl faithful will buy this but really I don't see what I can do on this that I can't do with my much smaller sleaker iphone. There is simply no innovation with this product.

#24     Jan 29, 2010
  5. Denver? At 5,281 ft? And this is only a problem in a plane if your cabin isn't pressurized. But then you've got bigger problems...

#25     Jan 29, 2010
  6. nitro

nitro

The iPad AFAIK has no moving parts. If you are a scientist working in the Arctic North Pole or on Mount Everest, you should be able to use an iPad in the field, at least with some minimal help from an external (enclosing) industrial device. No excuses from the AAPL design team.

#26     Jan 30, 2010
  7. Anything with an LCD in it has moving parts, by definition.

#27     Jan 30, 2010
  8. nitro

nitro

I mean a moving part in the classical sense. By quantum mechanical definition, everything is moving, even a solid block of lead. That is not what I mean.

Getting LCDs to operate in extreme environments is hard, hence the suggestion of a helping enclosure.

#28     Jan 30, 2010
  9. nitro

nitro

I am angry because I wanted a mat screen, Mac OS X iPad, not a giant iPhone/iTouch.

Even if battery life was sacrificed a little bit, the upside to having a real computer tablet with the capacity to double as an eBook reader would have been very exciting. Heck, if it tripled as a GPS device, that would have hit the ball out of the park. A very useable Calendar/Contact manager that understood voice commands would be a dream.

nitro says: "Computer"
    iPad: Computer sounds "ready" sound. I would set the "ready state sound" to the Star Trek sound, e.g., http://www.soundboard.com/sb/Star_Trek_Computer_voice.aspx
    nitro says: "Calendar for next four hours"
    iPad: Computer sounds "Pick up daughter, 3:30. Dinner 5:00. Chess lesson Borders 7:30."
    nitro says: Suggest dinner based on current location and favorite dishes, two mile travel limit.
    iPad: List of suggestions...

Later that evening:

nitro says: Computer
    iPad: sounds "ready sound"
    nitro says: favorite show times on TV next three hours.
    iPad: Bones, 9:00. Star Trek NG, 9:30. X-Files, 10:00.

In bed:

nitro says: Computer
    iPad: ready
    nitro says: display eBook "Adventures in Card Play". http://www.amazon.com/Adventures-Ca...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1264884471&sr=8-1
    iPad: Brings up eBook to read.

I want device convergence, not divergence.

#29     Jan 30, 2010
  10. That would be excellent, but the sad thing about this is that we do have the technology to do it, but Apple just won't do it.

It seems like everyone in the computer industry are playing safe. No one wants to innovate. They just want to keep cost down even tho everyone are moving towards cocooning!

I want to see a color ebook reader that could read magazines! I wanna see it with bluetooh technology where we could use thumb keyboard (or any other input device) to write e-mails! I want some AI functions and customizations!

Apple really disappointed me. :mad:

#30     Jan 30, 2010