Apparently ”bull market” is an ambiguous term

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by Maverick2608, Aug 6, 2018.

1. %% More than that;
    with slippage, commissions.................................... You Maybe right[ gross, not net] to break even; but 50% loss requires over a 100% gain , to break even,counting slippage.
    And really,Visaria, break even is a loss unless one wants to work for nothing+ who pays the power bill+ taxes?? [Or could call a loss= business exspences/education.:D:D]

#11     Aug 6, 2018
  2. Not always.

The bear markets 2000-2003 and 2007-2009 were in down trends.

Individual issues can be bearish for years and never recover.

#12     Aug 6, 2018
  3. Overnight

Overnight

You missed something I typed I think?

"Since every broad index inception, the trend has been up." I did not speak of individual issues. I spoke of the broad market indeces.

If the market keeps going up and up and up, where is the total downtrend? A bear market of 2 years does not outmatch a bull market of 10 years. The trend is always UP! You just need to define how long a "trend" is.

#13     Aug 6, 2018
  4. Exactly. Who cares if market changes or not. Has nothing to do with waking up tommoorw and making some money trading.

#14     Aug 6, 2018
  5. Thinking "the trend is always up, so nothing else matters" isn't productive for trading.

#15     Aug 6, 2018
  6. Overnight

Overnight

Scat, the trend is always up for a swing/position "trader". The history proves it. I have tried shorting in sim all these months, and it has proven disastrous. But my long sim trades are all victorious.

#16     Aug 6, 2018
  7. Your frame of reference is too short. Should be longer than the recent relentless bull market. It has been a "BTFD, give the benefit of the doubt to the longs" market. It isn't always thus.

(You say your "shorts have been disatrous". No surprise. They mostly should have been.)

#17     Aug 6, 2018
  8. Overnight

Overnight

I digress, I see this is the "stocks" forum, not the index futures forum. I suppose I am in the wrong place to be discussing this. My bad.

#18     Aug 6, 2018
  9. I cannot consider a person a trader that just loads up their account with capital and buys the ES dips...

ES

#19     Aug 6, 2018
  10. Overnight

Overnight

If you wish to go on about it, send me a PM. :) This is not the forum for it. Flom.

#20     Aug 6, 2018