API for Cash Prices?

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by gaussian, Feb 4, 2020.

1. gaussian

gaussian

Does anyone know of an API for Cash Prices? CSI data provides the data on a monthly subscription, and their historical data fee ($200 for one month of access) is a little steep for something I should be able to find for free. Since I get data through my broker I didn't think this price was justified.

I am looking for historical cash prices for sugar, corn, soybeans, wheat, cattle, hog, oil, natural gas, and metals. 10 years would be great, all historical prices going back to around 1970 would be even better (weekly or monthly would be fine as well).

I figured there's an aggregator I can hook up to in order to download the data one shot through an API or (if I have to) click a button to do so. I've looked into macrotrends (the website) but their download buttons don't work I have no idea where they source their data from.

Any help would be appreciated!

2. ZBZB

ZBZB

Take a look on www.quandl.com they have an api and a lot of free data from nearly every source imaginable.

3. gaussian

gaussian

Unfortunately they do not have cash data. It's the first place I looked :(.

4. ZBZB

ZBZB

5. ZBZB

ZBZB

6. jharmon

jharmon

Cash prices are just that - a sampling point from somewhere. Not necessarily indicative of anything outside of that sampling point. Interesting, yes. Tradeable - no.

You probably won't even get details on the source or volume involved.

Futures is where it really TRADES.

PS - you are a cheapskate. $200 in this game is chicken feed. Can't afford that? Can't afford to trade.

7. ZBZB

ZBZB

There is a free futures wiki of prices on www.quandl.com with API.

8. CannonTrading_Ilan

CannonTrading_Ilan Sponsor

not API but www.mrci.com has a lot of good info, historical prices and resources. If you need a free trail, PM me

9. You can get the cash prices, daily and often minutely, via the Barchart API. The symbol format is <base>Y00. So the symbol for Soybeans cash is SY00, the symbol for WTI cash is CLY00,

The call is:

https://marketdata.websol.barchart....=20190901&order=asc&volume=sum&apikey=API_KEY

You can try it out with the Barchart Free API with an API key you can obtain here:

https://www.barchart.com/ondemand/free-market-data-api

but the free API only goes back 6 months. The paid subscription goes back to the 1990's on many instruments.

CannonTrading_Ilan and gaussian like this.