API cannot connect after a while?

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by nooby_mcnoob, Jul 22, 2019.

1. Java memory leaks I'm guessing

#11     Jul 25, 2019
  2. IAS_LLC

IAS_LLC

Where is the guy who was saying Java is the shiiiit?

#12     Jul 25, 2019
    nooby_mcnoob likes this.
  3. d08

d08

Not only that, data connection going permanently bye-bye is also an issue. For myself it's also just in case something goes wrong. Can't debug all IB errors.

#13     Jul 25, 2019
  4. When running my automated trading system I don't need the GUI which TWS offers. So, for that I don't use TWS but Gateway instead. Gateway doesn't need those regular restarts.

#14     Jul 26, 2019
  5. Are you sure?

#15     Jul 26, 2019
  6. I start Gateway on Sunday evening and let it run until the following Saturday morning. I use it in combination with IBC (IB Controller). I am not seeing any issues due to it disconnecting, but that may also be caused by how I use it.

#16     Jul 26, 2019
  7. Ah you have IBC preventing restarts? I'm pretty sure that gateway has a setting where it restarts daily under lock and exit but I'm not at the desk so can't check.

#17     Jul 26, 2019
  8. With Gateway version 976.

upload_2019-7-26_9-53-45.png

#18     Jul 26, 2019
  9. Well, I don't think that if there is a restart that it would be a complete "lock & exit". Because in such a case two factor authentication would be necessary and IBC can not take care of that (I have 2FA enabled).

I was looking at what IB themselves have to say about this topic. I came across the following text:
    Source: http://interactivebrokers.github.io/tws-api/initial_setup.html
    My computer is using Ubuntu as OS and IB proposed version 9.72 as stable version, both for TWS and Gateway. So that is what I'm using.

#19     Jul 26, 2019
  10. OK that's why. For versions earlier than 974(?), IBC avoids the daily restart by changing the time, but it can't do that in later versions.

In later versions, the restart does not require authentication except once a week, but I manually authenticate on Sundays anyway.

#20     Jul 26, 2019