Aphie's REAL Trading Journal

Discussion in 'Journals' started by aphexcoil, Oct 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Does this mean he's going to trade more and post less?

#11     Oct 16, 2002
  2. Looking good Aphie (well, you know what I mean). Welcome to the real world. :)

You have to spend money to make money. Right? Er... Hmmm....

#12     Oct 16, 2002
  3. good luck alphie... best wishes!

ive taken you off ignore and looking forward to your posts.

#13     Oct 16, 2002
  4. Aphie,

You're right, it is a running P/L. What were your futures trades? Today is kind of a tricky day to start on.

#14     Oct 16, 2002
  5. Here's what happened today.

I wanted to make a trade so I choose SPY. I just more or less looked at the average and saw that it was going down so I put a limit order in and I waited about 5 minutes and netted 5 dollars.

Then, I tried to trade an options contract, but for some reason it wasn't executing very quickly so I cancelled that (I traded options in the past).

Next, I looked at ES and, with total disregard to any system or method, I basically just clicked SELL and it went about $25.00 in my direction and started going back the other way. I exited with a 2.75 point loss. I then SOLD again a few minutes later because I was more or less testing Jasper out and exited with another loss.

Jasper worked fine!

Sadly, I would love to trade SPY for a few weeks before going into ES but I cannot do that.

I am going to stop trading for the day and swallow my loss as a lesson learned. Tomorrow I will make a few more trades in QQQ and then perhaps an NQ trade.

I need to learn to be patient and not just make a trade for the hell of it. I basically went into the market today feeling invincible and got hammered.

Thanks for all your advice and I'm definately here to take it. I'm humbled now.

#15     Oct 16, 2002
  6. Before you get yourself killed hopping from one market to the next (SPY, options, ES, QQQ, etc.) you should pick one and stick with it and at least have a plan of some sort.

Just my 2 cents

#16     Oct 16, 2002
  7. All that paper trading....what did you learn from it? You are making the same mistakes everyone makes no matter how much prep goes into it.

Dude, where is all the planning? C'mon, you were going to circumvent all that stuff. A stock, then an option, then thinking a future. What in the world? Now you need to be slapped. And I am on your side. Those who have berated you must really want to kick your butt.

Slow down killer. Amazingly, the market will be open again tomorrow. Go have a beer, relax. LOL, what a day huh? You must be hell at the all-you-can-eat buffet!!!

:p

#17     Oct 16, 2002
  8. Daveron

Daveron

Alphie, from reading some of your previous posts I was under the impression you had a soild paper trading strategy using the futures? I'm just wondering why you are now jumping between all these different methods and not sticking to your plan?

IB has a demo of their platform you can try, not realtime data but it is good for learning how to use it, also you can turn off the P/L something I did becuase I found it distracting during trading and tended to cloud my judgement occasionally.

#18     Oct 16, 2002
  9. ddefina

ddefina

You're in a tough situation. You can't daytrade 50 shares with a small account, but you can daytrade 500 shares. That's what you get with a bunch of fat blue bloods making the rules. :confused:

#19     Oct 16, 2002
  10. JORGE

JORGE

A lot of people don't like trading the Dow minis because of liquidity, but you might want to look at the $2 Dow mini (YJ). A 100 pt move in the Dow would only put you +/- $200 versus $500 for a corresponding S&P move. Whatever you trade good luck.

#20     Oct 16, 2002
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.