Aphie... awesome work with jasper.subzonex.com

Discussion in 'Educational Resources' started by inandlong, Jan 25, 2003.

1. You can install Windows 98se on the same platform that you install Windows 2000 and there will be a noticeable improvement in how responsive the OS is. In fact, Windows 2000 manages memory far better than Win 98/se does.

Granted, between Win 98, Win 95 and Win ME, Win 98 is the best of that group, but I don't think you can compare it to the NT, 2000, XP group.

The best solution would probably be to trade from a computer with only the basics installed that you need for trading, put up a firewall on everything else and just open the ports that you need to use to trade / surf the web.

#11     Jan 25, 2003
  2. Just give me a little time and I'll throw you a steak.

#12     Jan 25, 2003
  3. blackswan

blackswan

win98?

okay, maybe it's working fine for you, but it just seems such a stretch to believe it.

especially you, bone. you agonize over getting .0001 of a second advantage in your executions, but are still sticking with '98?

maybe its stability issues are overblown, but still, why take such a risk? I know from my own use that win2k shits all over 98 for stability -- practically no issues in the 2 years I've used it.

wally, it's not like going to win2k is going to completely alter your lifestyle. it's essentially the same thing as 98 from a cosmetic point of view. you just get the added stability. it's a no brainer of an upgrade if you ask me.

#13     Jan 25, 2003
  4. Hey you deserve the accolades Aphie.

Wally, I can relate to the your desire not to give up 98. I uninstalled the XP upgrade to my SE 3 times before I said what the heck and switched for good. But like you said in other words... if it ain't broke, don't fix it! You are doing just fine without Jasper.

The strengths of Jasper are its bracket trading functionality, which wally isn't using anyway, and its visual presentation of the trade. I love the Thermogrid. Being able to click my price once and the order goes in is excellent. I recognize there are other bracket/OCA platforms, and I have used them too. I happen to like Jasper the best.

Additionally, the website is becoming more than just a homebase for Jasper. From PM conversation with Aphie, it is safe to say that you can think of his site as a complement to this one, and not a competitor, ie., very data oriented.

#14     Jan 25, 2003
  5. I am glad to hear that Jasper is a very fine program.

I do hope to switch to Windows XP Professional this year, but I am still not sure how well this new system supports multi-monitor configurations and if it would support the cards I presently use. Not to mention installing all those programs anew. For some I may not be able to find their original CD's.

I am sure I will have to do it one day, but at this point nothing really compels me to do it.

#15     Jan 25, 2003
  6. After I got my system optimized, it's like a completely new system. Practically no crashes, before at least one a day.

#16     Jan 26, 2003
  7. nice site and good luck to you

a question .... is the market data under
    "welcome to the market war room"
    updated during the trading day
    and is it delayed or real time data snapshots?

#17     Jan 26, 2003
  8. Congrats on the birth! Always happy to see one grow from beta into a fully functioning vehicle. I am on the road but I will download and check it out upon my return home in the next few weeks. You had a plan, I watched (I actually should have called Vegas and took the odds) it develop and wondered when it would surface. I look forward to recommending it to my financial software clients in the near future. Good luck and good trading! :)

#18     Jan 26, 2003
  9. It updates throughout the trading day and is currently delayed. However it will be real-time as soon as I switch over to the real-time server link.

Thanks for the comments!

#19     Jan 26, 2003
  10. daytr8r

daytr8r

Can the Jasper program be used for simulated trading? How would I go about doing this? Do I have to have an existing account in order to get the futures feed?

I currently only trade nyse stocks, but I'm interested in learning to trade futures. I would like to practice with simulated realtime trading. Does anyone know how this is possible for the least possible expense?

#20     Jan 26, 2003