‘Peak Oil’ Is a Myth & Waste of Energy

Discussion in 'Economics' started by ByLoSellHi, Aug 25, 2009.

1. piezoe

piezoe

Cache, can you sight a journal reference backing this statement of yours:

"There are panels that get to 40% efficient in converting sunlight to electricity, but they are usually cost prohibitive which will not be the case for very long."

That would really interest me! Most of the solar irradience is in the infrared, so I don't see how that figure is possible using silicon voltaic cells anyway. Perhaps i'm wrong, or perhaps there is a Madison Avenue trick in the figure cited.

In comparison, only about 30% or less of the thermal energy from coal is available as usable electricity by the time it reaches your home. (70% or more loss!)

#51     Sep 11, 2009
  2. Not quite. We use all three hydrocarbons right now - oil gas and coal.

The oil goons want profits - yes that's true. But our gov't also needs to maintain petrodollar recycling as well. But the real bottom line is - for transportation purposes, for long haul and hauling loads, there is nothing cheaper than oil.

Peak Oil is real - it is not a scare tactic used by oil companies. Actually oil companies hate that geologists that they hire speak of peak oil. They fear that the public would be that much more motivated to try something other than oil.

#52     Sep 11, 2009