Anything better than Stochastics???

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by donaldduck3419, Apr 20, 2003.

1. lindq

lindq

Deviation from an MA is a much better indicator of overbought and oversold.

#11     Apr 20, 2003
    joker542 likes this.
  2. maxpi

maxpi

#12     Apr 20, 2003
  3. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

That's because stochastics measure oscillations, not trends. If you're trending, they're useless.

If you want to get out nearer the top and you have no particular target, use a simple trendline. When it's broken, exit. Or you can use the last reaction high or low.

#13     Apr 20, 2003
  4. Don't be confused with a 'system' and an 'indicator'. They are two different things.

A system tells you what to do. An indicator requires interpretation and user intervention.

Stochastics, as well as all other indicators are not in and of themselves 'systems' that will provide long term profits (except randomly). Basically, blindly buying oversold and selling overbought will send you to the poorhouse eventually.

#14     Apr 20, 2003
  5. I often use a DEMA(StochD(40),t)
    with steady or variable smoothing.
    See the recent
    http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=15667
    as also the
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/amibroker/message/38446
    DELL application.
    It is an idea perhaps to enjoy the last part of the trend and avoid premature exits.

#15     Apr 21, 2003
  6. I will slightly disagree.
    A DEMA(StochD(40),20) is an excellent trend detector, for example.

#16     Apr 21, 2003
  7. Aloha donaldduck3419,
    I love a
    good question on a sunny afternoon.

Gnome’s
    nothing at all has to be better than Stochastics for overbought/oversold, because that is not what Stochastics does.

Don they are all better.
    Stochastics is not an overbought/oversold indicator. Dr. Lane has said so many times. The only signal that will cause you to buy or sell is Divergence between Stochastics and price.

Livermore explains clearly. “No price can get so high you cannot buy, nor any price gets so low that you cannot sell.”
    Maybe Stochastics is just giving you the proper signal
    “To Soon!”
    Stochastics does not show overbought.
    The price move may have just gotten
    started.
    Oddiduro brings up a very crucial point with
    Stochastics. Look back over how Stochastics has worked on the same security in the past. Try to pick up the rhythm.
    DblArrow has brought up the most interesting and least understood new interpretation in the use and abuse of
    Stochastics. The infamous Stochastic Pop.

OK its like this, when prices rise so rapidly that they go from below 15 to over 80 almost instantly. Then you want to stay long, buy new highs (in Spreads), until Stochastics falls below 80.

That’s the rough and almost.

15 and 80 are
    arbitrary; your numbers of periods is arbitrary. What you do is arbitrary. But in general, you understand that you have extreme upwards momentum. If this momentum remains constant, the indicator will level off. When the rate of acceleration decreases the oscillator will turn down.

You understand that prices can be still in a steep uptrend, but just a slightly lower rate will turn Stochastics.

Again, Chris is correct in suggesting that you
    experiment with parameters until the fit your style of trading.

George Lanes suggestions are in my post “Stochastics and Bollinger Bands!

>
    The George Lane configuration is to use 5 periods for %K.
    > Plot it with a
    3 period exponential moving average of %K for %D
    > Plot it with a
    3 period exponential moving average of %D for SlowD
    > Show all three lines over price.

Charles explains the real reason
    Stochastics is not an overbought/oversold oscillator.
    How can it be a confirmation when Stochastics
    leads, Stochastics precedes price. Stochastic happens first.The main valid complaint with Stochastics is it happens to soon.
    With Spreads Stochastics can get you in on the close of the first day a trend starts. If you want a little Livermore insurance, you can easily get in on the second or third days close.
    Timeless Wisdom. Just use a simple
    trendline.
    Is this a
    Ross Hook?
    -ooO-(GoldTrader)-Ooo-

#17     May 3, 2003
  8. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

Or you can use the last reaction high or low.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is this a Ross Hook?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes and no. A reaction is a move counter to the primary trend. Since this goes back to Rhea, if not before, it predates Ross by around a hundred years.

#18     May 3, 2003
  9. DblArrow

DblArrow

Just a thought - take off the 20 and 80 lines, put in a 50 and only buy when above the 50 and only sell when below the 50. Buy the first crossover of the 50 or if it comes back close to the 50 and turns back up get in. Play with the settings, and see what YOU think.

Make 'em pretty, Chris

#19     May 5, 2003

10. You are in a rather tough place at the moment.

I remember on channel 13 in NYC (In the 50's) there was a PhD from Columbia University explaining the influence of agriculture on the Constitution vis a vis the Hartford Convention.

I had to call in to the station and get him "fixed". When he and I spoke it became clear that he didn't catch on to arithematic at some point in his career.

If you will, consider overhauling your understanding of maths from bottom to top. At this point you are not going to be able to move ahead until you do.

When I lecture at MBA places, I always check to see if the students have any maths in their background; usually they do not. It isn't possible for them to get anywhere until they do some catch up work somewhere.

At this point, you are really screwed.

#20     May 5, 2003